Ceramic car type polishes

jwilson

Visit site
They seem to range from £300 down to something like this:

T-Cut Dark Blue Scratch Remover Color Fast Paintwork Restorer Car Polish 500ml | eBay

or even cheaper

Has anyone used these polishes on a coloured boat hull? Any recommendations or is it all a bit hyped up?

I've used the T-Cut dark blue stuff on bramble-hedge type scratches on my dark blue car: it improves the look considerably. If you live where I do the hedge scratches are pretty much inevitable, unless you want to be the person with a pristine car causing gridlock as he/she won't squeeze past another car or truck. You have to re-do the blue polish every now and then, not too onerous.

When I had a dark blue yacht nearly 40 years ago the eventual cure was an Awlgrip spray. The T-cut stuff might be work a try - couple of fivers versus thousands.

Thresher

Visit site
I haven't tried them all but have a few and will now only use Meguiars wax paste. It's expensive but worth it considering the time and effort putting it on.

trapper guy

Visit site
i cant get my head around ceramics as a protective coating.
in my mind they are either an abrasive, and insulator or a dinner plate

rogerthebodger

Visit site
i cant get my head around ceramics as a protective coating.
in my mind they are either an abrasive, and insulator or a dinner plate

When a ceramics coating is applied to any softer surface if gives it a harder and ware resistance surface just like a ceramics coating on a dinner plate

If there are scratches the scratches must be remove with a fine abrasive polish

trapper guy

Visit site
When a ceramics coating is applied to any softer surface if gives it a harder and ware resistance surface just like a ceramics coating on a dinner plate

If there are scratches the scratches must be remove with a fine abrasive polish
there was me thinking the whole plate was ceramic, but its just the coating you say?

Buck Turgidson

Visit site
I'm really interested in trying it as I have a rifle (shock horror from all the brits) that is finished in ceracoat and it really is a "bullet proof" finish that requires virtually no maintenance compared to my traditional blued steel rifle.

oldharry

Visit site
They seem to range from £300 down to something like this:

T-Cut Dark Blue Scratch Remover Color Fast Paintwork Restorer Car Polish 500ml | eBay

or even cheaper

Has anyone used these polishes on a coloured boat hull? Any recommendations or is it all a bit hyped up?

T Cut scratch remover is not the same as a ceramic car polish. Ceramic polish provides (or is supposed to provide!) a chemically bonded extra layer to the paint coat. It is reported to work quite well on GRP as well, I believe. Wax does something similar, layering wax over the paint to give a better smoother finish.

T Cut is what its name says, a fine cutting paste which actually cuts through the dirty layer and repolishes the surface by actually wearing it away. I have seen it cut right through a paint layer to the undercoat when applied over enthusiastically with a polisher! The coloured stuff leaves residue in the scratches which helps hide them. It needs a degree of caution when used on gel coat which tends to be softer than baked on car paints.

doug748

Visit site
I have a can of original T Cut my father bought in Halfords about 60 years ago 😳 I think the stuff I linked to is intended to do both jobs and is available in a range of colours. Anyway I will give it a go.

oldharry

Visit site
They both polish the surface and do a good job. Tcut does it by cutting in to the surface to polish it while wax and ceramics achieve it by adding a smooth layer which can be buffed up.

Tcut advises that the surface should be waxed after treatment to give further protection. It's intended for restoring faded scratched paintwork, before applying the polish.