Centaur/ Pageant - S/Steel water tank Delete. Anyone done it? Safe to do.

ganter

Visit site
My old Pageant water tank - stainless steel, hidden beneath the forward cabin GRP layup, not used for many years, should probably be deleted and the extra storage space used for fresh water flexible containers, etc.

I hesitate however; will structural integrity be compromised?

I attach a couple of photos to illustrate exactly the GRP to be cut out to make a new hatch.

Thoughts and opinions from those who've done it, thought about it, etc would be warmly received.

Many thanks in advance.

IMG_3388.jpg

IMG_3389.jpg

Tam Lin

Visit site
Tam Lin had the water tank removed before I got her and a flexible one put in the starboard forward locker. A hole was cut where your cross hatching is on your picture which has provided a large locker. It has never occurred to me, or apparently the two surveyors who have looked at the boat, that structural integrity is comprised. You are only cutting through an internal moulding and as the rest of the boat is built like the proverbial brick outhouse I don't think there is anything to worry about. Unless, of course, anyone knows better!

Tam Lin

Visit site
Went to the boat today so took some photos. One with the lid on, one without. Hope they are useful.

IMG_2342_zps8hx6vbmv.jpg

IMG_2343_zpsvkxe5rux.jpg

PuffTheMagicDragon

Visit site
It's been done on many Centaurs. When I was going to do it on the one I had (CR1279) the only thing that I planned to do differently was to radius the four corners, not so much for structural integrity as much as to avoid the possibility of cracks starting at sharp corners of the opening (Memories of the Comet airliner windows).