CAV Fuel Filters - advice please

CalicoJack

Visit site
Yesterday I changed the two fuel filters on my boat. It is true to say that they are not the easiest things to get at, and space is very limited. The most difficult job was to get the O ring out of the spigot that is fixed in the head (the one that the filter fits on to). I can't see what I am doing and access as I said is difficult. Is their some fool proof method or was I just being awkward?

savageseadog

Visit site
Re: CAV Fuel Filters - advice please.

you need to make a plastic hook for that job. I have, in the past used a snap-on brand metal hook but you have to be careful not to gouge the metal

pvb

Visit site
I dry it with kitchen paper, then stretch it in the groove so that it's protruding on one side, then sort of roll the protruding bit off the spigot. I agree it helps if you can see it. To be honest, I don't always change it!

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site
What about moving the filter to somewhere more accessible? I must admit we haven't actually yet got round to doing this on our boat, but it is on the list.

What puzzles me is what on earth was the person who installed it thinking when they put it where it is. Malice? It must have been a bit awkward to get to even before they put the engine in!

Poignard

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
What puzzles me is what on earth was the person who installed it thinking when they put it where it is.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would love to invite onboard the man who installed our galley sink discharge seacock and then built the galley around it; and ask him to demonstrate how to service it!

bazobeleza

faro, portugal, & Liverpool for my sins, this year
Visit site
seems to be a problem with every boat I've been on. I think the builders put them in awkward positions out of spite, its not brain surgery or expensive to site them in an accesible location. I resited mine to an easy to get to location, so easy in fact that when we had a blocked filter coming down the mersey, i'd changed two filters and got the engine going before my mate had shaken a reef out of the main to get the boat going.

Other threads that may be of interest