Cat 3 races - alternative location for sail numbers

Tulkinghorn

Visit site
At present, we only have sail numbers on our sails.

In contemplation of some offshore racing this summer and whilst updating the boat's graphics generally (new graphics for the name etc,.) I was wondering other people's experiences with complying with the relevant World Sailing rule on having an alternative set of numbers. There has obviously been a trend away from simply having a set of dodgers tucked away somewhere with them on (we have these) in favour of placing them directly on the hull. Is this more of either a fashion statement, because it is better from a safety perspective (i.e. won't get blown away), a bit of both, or due to some prescription that I've missed?

Also, does the size requirements for sail numbers (i.e. 450mm high for larger boats) apply equally to numbers placed on the hull or elsewhere? My reading of it suggests that it does, but looking at quite a few other boats not everyone seems to be complying.

Martin_J

Visit site
The Offshore Regulations for cat 3 point to the RRS (Racing Rules of Sailing) appendix G, Identification on Sails, for the size and positioning of letters on sails. That is where the 450mm for vessels over 11m is found...

From what I can read in the OSR, they just suggest an alternative means for when none of the numbered sails are set...

This is when some races then include RORC prescriptions that in this case modifies requirement 4.01.02 and state that after the start, the sail number shall be displayed on the port quarter when none of the numbered sails are set.

Search online for RORC Prescriptions. Number size isn't mentioned but says they are to be displayed to help with search and rescue...