Castle Tavern, Gosport

ajc

Visit site
Holed up in Hornet the other week end and Gosport seems to lack any good eateries. Gave this pub a try and being on my own feared the worst , as so often happens, but no made very welcome and although they were busy, being a Saturday night, they found me a table and was promptly served with a good chicken curry. Serves 6X as well , that's a plus in my book so long as it is good 6X and I found nothing wrong with theirs. Would go there again.

I am fed up with pubs that cannot make you at least feel welcome and currently there are too many of those. Landlord/ Managers Don't you want business? You are in the hospitality game . Get with it or get out!
Don't go to sea without a boat!

<hr width=100% size=1>

isandell

Visit site
Has it changed hands? Is it a full moon? Were you just lucky?

This place has been discussed here before and some ppl seem to have had good experience. To be honest, when I went in a few months ago the bar staff were good - just everything was rubbish.

Why didn't you eat at Hornet? Always been good for me.

Ian

<hr width=100% size=1>

isandell

Visit site
I dont know (I'm only an associated member and usually just visit by sea) but I suspect not.

Ian

<hr width=100% size=1>

BlueChip

Visit site
Its shut at the moment (April 15th) - closed for a few weeks for redevelopment.
Hope they do something about the disgusting toilets! Hate to think what the kitchen is like

xcw

Visit site
Anyone tried the newly re opened Castle? Are they still serving the same school dinners and have they cleaned the toilets during the refurb?

sjmanistre

Visit site
I have been visiting the Castle occasionally for years, and regularly since 2012 (berthed in Gosport Marina). The place is not at all posh, but serves whopping portions of, yes, school canteen style food, but well cooked and tasty. Staff have always been bright and pleasant, and you need to book a table to eat weekend nights, or turn up early.
The thought of a Castle steak-and-kidney has sustained me up several cold wet lengths of the Solent. Good beer, too.

richardbrennan

Visit site
Being a resident of Haslar Marina I have tried most of the restaurants in Gosport. The best, in my view, is the New Bengal which serves excellent Indian food at a very fare price. Hardys at Haslar marina is also well worth a try although the service can be slow, I have also had some excellent pizza recently at Bobby's and their home made deserts are terrific except for those on a diet! I have also had some good food at the Boathouse in Gosprt Marina.