Casting adrift

byron

RIP
Visit site
Seeing Boat one's comment in another thread about people casting you off reminds me of what happened to me at Windsor.

I heard this bumping noise on my fly bridge. I got up to investigate and found yobbos trying to untie me.
The bumping noise was my dog. She obviously had heard them and got up with her ball and was picking it up and dropping it hoping they would throw it for her. Not much of a guard dog I know but in this case just as effective as barking.

Chris_d

Visit site
Thats sounds like my dog, we were tied up in Abingdon this year and had retired relatively early, it was a nice evening so had the canopies down etc.. As I was dropping off heard people climbing on board, bit of shuffling about etc.. poked my head though the hatch to see a couple, erm.. utilising my rear settee. not youths either maybe 30 somethings, EXCUSE ME i said, forgetting I was only in my under pants, the bloke nearly jumped in the river, "sorry mate didn't think anybody was onboard" he legged it, the lady obviously embarressed left a bit more dignifiedly.
And the dog, well he had only just woke up as I was getting back into bed " all sorted dad?" he seemed to say.

alistairedw

Visit site
Setting boats adrift seems to be quite a popular sport nowadays. I am aware of several incidents in the Richmond to Kingston stretch of the river.

If I am leaving the boat away from my normal trot mooring I use some heavy chain + a padlock. I don't sleep on board my motorboat (cabin a bit small + SWMBO wouldn't enjoy it) but if I did I would still use the chain to avoid waking up adrift!

Captain Coochie

Visit site
Happened to me in kingston , well about to happen but they didnt recon on me being onboard .
Mooring spikes are not just for mooring /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Kristal

www.audnance.com
I'm a hypocrite. If I found a couple of drunken, 18 year old lads sitting on my settee I'd belt 'em both with a Mag-Lite and fling em off the wet side of the boat. If they were drunken, 18 year old girls, I'd already be opening the Saublet...

the_wanderer

Visit site
Had the boat broken into at Wallingford a few years ago. They didn't get much but they busted my padlock. I went to get another padlock and the b......s came back for another try whilst I was away. Once again, not much lost, there isn't much on my boat to pinch and what is is well hidden. That night I moored upstream just below Benson Lock. I only used one mooring stake midships (my boat is only fourteen foot long). I heard some yobs coming along the bank, obviously had a night out in Wallingford and were going home to Benson. They tried to board my boat. I pulled out the single mooring stake and with my two pound club hammer in my hand I told them where to go. I can only assume they did so. I spent the rest of the night swinging on my anchor. Be careful at Wallingford!

Regards.

Alan.

cliff

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I've been told by a friend who "knows" these things, that over 18 tonnes you are allowed to carry small arms on the boat. We're over that apparently.

[/ QUOTE ]Where does the figure 18 tonnes come from?
--------------------
hammer.thumb.gif
"Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity"
sailroom <span style="color:red">The place to auction your previously loved boatie bits</span>