Carribean Living

cartman

Visit site
I am considering moving out to the Virgin Islands to live and work. I'm hoping to take my boat across the pond in November, and then live on board her. I however have no idea on mooring / Marina costs, and more importantly how to survive the hurricane season... has anybody done this? What about the cruising permits etc for long term stays.

Steve

<hr width=100% size=1>

Keith

Visit site
Do you have a job to go to?, if not it will be hard to find work legally, and eventually you will be politely asked to move on ( how discreet you are depends on how long they will tolerate it), hurricane season officially starts in june, but NORMALLY nothing drastic happens until september then it's a case of keep an eye on the weather and wait, problem is most marinas ask you to leave to reduce the damage, if you do stay, any damage your boat does to other boats or the marina you will be liable for.............keith

<hr width=100% size=1>

Jeannius

Visit site
Steve....

I've experience of some of your points of interest.... I took my boat across with ARC2002 and then put her out on charter in the BVI. Marina charges are astronomical for short stay and almost as bad for longer term. You don't get many liveaboards in the BVI. To get a work permit you need a job, otherwise you are limited to, I think, 3 months tourist visa. Plenty of charter companies that might offer you a job and arrange a work permit.

Probably the cheapest way to keep a boat there is to purchase a charter boat permit for $500/year. This means you do not have to pay import duty. You can probably do this even if you have no intention of chartering.

Hurricanes... Insurance will cost a fortune to stay in the water during the season. There is an excellent 'hurricane hole' called Paraquita bay, surrounded by mangroves and with a very narrow entrance. There are permanently laid moorings for the vast BVI charter fleet but there is room for others.

See http://www.bvi.gov.vg for official info

<hr width=100% size=1>Mike

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.sailbvi.net>www.sailbvi.net</A>

cartman

Visit site
Thanks for the info... I hopefully have a job lined up on a dive charter boat and the employers will line up a work permit if I go there. I'm looking to use my boat as accomodation for at least the first season, until I decide if the arrangement is to become a permanent one. Guess I need to find a hurricane safe mooring. I would be based on Tortola, Road Town...

Thanks

Steve

<hr width=100% size=1>