Carpet Slippers

Gargleblaster

Visit site
I went to a presentation by Sam Llewellyn the other night and he reminded me that Blondie is said to have done the whole 1960 OSTAR in carpet slippers. I remember something about this from Ewen Southby-Tailyour's book on Blondie and thought there may have been some discussion prior to the 1960 race of doing the whole thing in carpet slippers. Unfortunately I've lent my copy to someone I am trying to convince to do the 2010 race.

As 2010 is the 50th anniversary of the first OSTAR, I was wondering if we shouldn't have an award for the last person to arrive at Newport wearing carpet slippers? I would be prepared to make a small contribution for something that was slightly silly.

I would even attempt to wear carpet slippers all the way although they may not be the most appropriate footwear when attempting to reef with waves washing over the deck or when I have 2 feet of water sloshing around the cabin.

helixkimara

Visit site
Hey John, Funny you should say that cos I wore carpet slippers, a long night hat with a bobble on the end and carried a candle in a propa candle holder ALL THE WAY. THATS WHY I WAS LAST !
See you Saturday.

Noddy

Visit site
I wore crocs and hiking socks all the way to the Azores.
Modern eqiuvelent or sad lack of fashion sense??

Having trouble visualising you as Father Christmas Malcolm.

KINGFISHER 8

Visit site
Blondie Hasler wore slippers because he didn't have to go on deck ... worked everything from the hatch . Actually the last time I heard the story it was about Mike Richey, when he had Jester! ... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

britishbeagle

Visit site
hi Glayva... the OSTAR is run every 4 years, but they skipped a year in 2004 when the Offshore challenges paid big bucks to introduced the Transat on the legacy of the OSTAR. As you might recall the O in OSTAR was for the Observer, the sponsor. Now the O stands for Original Single-handed Transatlantic Race... as they skipped 2004, the last edition was 2005, the one coming up is May 25th 2009!!! just over 2 months. I have entered and as i have a confy Sigma 36 they often tease me and ask me about my slippers. We have setup a skippers blog website called blogSTAR at www.blogstar.org.uk with all the news and stories leading to the race. I'm Marco Nannini on British Beagle, which is my username here...
Ciao and maybe see you at the start of the race...