Carpe Diem

flipper

Visit site
My (soon to be ex) wife's best friend died today. Liver/lung/bone cancer, you name it. 46 years old, never smoked, built like a racing snake, went to the gym most days. 6 weeks from diagnosis (went to the docs with back ache) to dying in a hospice up to the gills in morhine. Makes you think doesnt it?

Was due to go Sailing with Bernie and her new recruit, Robin but staying around here this weekend now to show a bit of support.

I hope you all have a cracking weekend.

Carpe Diem!

Patrick

Gin

Visit site
Life hangs by a thread for all of us.

Fortunately none of us can see the length of the thread nor how strong the knots that secure us!

MoodySabre

Visit site
It was several cases like that which made me decide to stop working full time when I was 50. Obviously I was fortunate to be able to and could afford the drop in income. When it is close to home it does make you think about your priorities. We all keep working and saving on the basis of 'jam tomorrow' and assuming that tomorrow will come and last a long time.

Carpe diem indeed.

Athene V30

Playa del Ingles, Gran Canaria in Winter, the boat
Visit site
Sorry to hear that for you. A Sailing friend of mine died recenty also from Cancer. That was just a few months but he was 74 so had been around a bit.

On a positive note the lad at Scouts who had lukemia is out having had 5 bouts of chemo and everything else - coming to camp for a couple of days = so there is always hope

Koeketiene

www.sailblogs.com
[ QUOTE ]
exactly.... i'm not working a day past 50.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oi - copycat - that's my plan!!!

In fact, I'll quit work 19 days past 49. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Get to work the rest of you - most of my family lived to be 90 or more.
And I want that pension in the bank every month /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Koeketiene

www.sailblogs.com
My dad passed away last year - just 9 days after entering A&E with a 'cough' to being diagnosed lung cancer and dying.
To be fair, he was a packet a day man, but refused to see a doctor his entire life. The man who self-diagnosed and treated malaria would be all right for everything else.

I have been giving this subject some serious thought over the last year or so.
Contemplating how I would react if I would be told that I only a short time left.
Carpe Diem about sums it up.

Gin

Visit site
My wife did- and she was the bravest person it has ever been my good fortune and privilege to meet.

My part in her demise was an honour

She was so young and life is so unfair!

tillergirl

Visit site
Umm. Look. Could we talk about something cheerful? Hey its my wedding aniversary tomorrow and my wife (over a Chinese) reminded me. I have no card, present, noffing. I suppose I could treat her to a day on the boat?

Sixpence

Visit site
You could, but would that be a treat for her or just you /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Urgent trip suggested
Flowers, chocky, nice vino, maybe a meal out (not a Burger King /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif ) then maybe romance her for the day and hope she fancies a sail as a result /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

tillergirl

Visit site
How about: flower, chocy, nice vino, theatre and a promise not to take her to the baot. I managed to get tickets for 'Run for your wife'. Have I done the right thing?