Cardiff Marina liveaboard

em2

Visit site
Hi, does anyone know the attitude of Cardiff Marina towards liveaboards? I noticed some liveaboards whilst there a few days ago, but*would like to know if they allow residential...ie receiving mail/official mailing address instead of 'under the radar'. I have a well kept boat and blend in btw.
If anybody has any information/advice would be great to hear from you about this
Thanks

andrew-b

Visit site
Hi em2,

As I understand the situation, the bylaws of Cardiff Bay do not allow liveaboards. Penarth Marina is separated by a lock.

A

em2

Visit site
Hi andrew-b,
Quays Bangor, Portishead etc allow residential at 20% surcharge. Penarth being a Quays marina too is prevented from offering the same? or are you saying the lock enables them to bypass the bylaw and offer residential? Sorry but wasn't sure if you meant the bylaw applies to the whole bay inc Penarth.
I run my business from my boat, so need to be able to receive official mail etc for a few months, was hoping to spend a while in Cardiff, but maybe this is not likely?
Advice appreciated.

andrew-b

Visit site
There are some liveaboards in Penarth and I assume it is the lock that means this is allowed. I'm not sure what the arrangement is though; I'm not one. You might try PMing jock89 here who is. There are also businesses run from here I believe.

Probably the best thing is to give them a ring, the team here are always super helpful.

A

lezzer-g

Visit site
Just taking this from their hand book:-

RESIDENTIAL USE OF BOATS
We do not permit houseboats. Due to Cardiff
Harbour Authority Byelaws berth holders may
not use Cardiff Marina as their permanent
residence or only registered postal address.

Hope it helps.

Lez

Jordan2711

Visit site
if anyone can help, I'm looking to rent a boat to live upon within September.
if anyone can help would be much appreciated.
cheers

tomfrom

Visit site
Yeah you can live in Cardiff marina, Post, parking etc is all fine, staff are friendly and there is a good community of livaboards. The brochure statement is the same for most marina's just covering themselves for liabilities and legal stuff.
Enjoy