Cardiff Barrage

shaunb

Visit site
Hi all
thinking of going to watchet for a few days tomorrow morning (Tuesday). By my calculations I need to lock out at 8AM, which is only 1 hour after low water. Will I get out with ease? I usually only go in/ out at 3 hours either side of high water. The boat draws 5 foot.
Thanks in advance
Shaun

orizaba

www.mtmarineservices.com
,i'd say it depends on when they dredged the channel last and how well you know that nasty curvy channel, and if the red/green can is in a suitable position,mind you if you get stuck at least you are on a rising tide which from the few times i touched base usually rises very fast,
personally i would give it a bit more time,4 of us went to portishead one weekend,i left 1 hr after them from penarth and was ok they had a sporty time.the usual thing if your not sure err on the side of caution,
intrested in the comment on the barrage boys,do they sail out of there alot.
we draw about 5 ft and was only happy at 3 hrs,mind you with a good depthsounder etc it might be different. good luck
one of the other things i don't miss about cardiff as i'm in the med THE TIDES good luck. are you based in penarth marina perchance

bluedragon

Visit site
We all have our own Watchet strategy, but is this perhaps a bit early? We usually leave about mid-flood (or just before), reaching Watchet in about 3.5 hrs. Usually we motor-sail until well past Flatholm and the flood slackens, then sail or continue under motor if necessary, getting into Watchet about an hour before gate closure. I haven't found it any more rough just after HW, but it depends on wind direction. As others have said, check with Barrage Control anyway.

graham

Visit site
Hello Shaun.You will get out no problem at low water. My boat draws 4foot six ,I got out at low water last thursday which was a much bigger tide .

Sailing down against the neap tide shouldnt be a problem.Like you I like to leave early so theres no stress of not making it in time.

darobert

Visit site
I like your Watchet strategy for getting from Cardiff -> W; but what tips do have for getting back? (just had 3 hours of slog against the tide and wind with my 8HP outboard flat out) /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

graham

Visit site
Welcome to the forum.

If you left as soon as the Watchet gates opened you would have had about 2.5 hours of fair tide. We do it either sailing or motorsailing with our 4 hp motor.

If you get passed the Rannie Buoy before the tide changes your OK but if not its a long hard slog against the tide or anchor in Sully bay /Barry
until it changes.

I hate sailing to tight schedules like that so prefer to leave Watchet on the ebb ,anchor in Blue Anchor Bay then leave about an hour before low water then the favourable tide gets faster as you head back until you whiz roun d Lavernock point at 9 or 10 knots over the ground. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Going to Watchet from Cardiff is easier as you leave as early as you like then get favourable tide for the last hour or two after the tide changes.Personally i prefer to go down to Blue anchor on the ebb.Arrive there just after low water anchor until the Watchet gates open . Much less stress .

Allan

Visit site
My type of planning!!! I normally go to Minehead as it gives us a bit more sailing. On the way back on Monday we left Watchet not long after high tide and pushed the tide most of the way. We past East Culver about an hour and a half after passing West Culver! Sailng at a standstill is still sailing in my book, I planned to put the motor on or drop the hook only if we started going backwards.
Allan