Caprice keel bolts

tobermoryphil

Visit site
Posted this on t'other site, but no response, so trying here.

My much loved Caprice Mk.IV [GRP, sshhh; but same hard chine hull as the original ply Caprice] has bilge keels in oak or elm, with long bolts passing through to the cast iron lower sections. I suspect the bolts may be the 1972 originals, and wonder just how much has corroded away. So I suspect that they may well need replacing- anyone done this with a Caprice, and any tips?

All suggestions gratefully received, Phil.

sandeel

Visit site
keels

Hi Phil I have a Mystic from the 60's with I would think the same set up, and my bolts were shot. they pass right through as you say but the heads are held from rotating in hexagonal shaped recesses in the cast Iron. what I would suggest is to remove one first to get an idea of their condition. The easiest?? to remove is the short one towards the bow. I think they are whitworth thread. I replaced mine with stainless steel rod with a nut welded on one end to form a bolt, then heavily coated in tar to keep the water at bay.If I was doing it again I think I would have the bolts made in mild steel and galvanised. you will have to dig a fairly deep hole to drop out the others if the boat isn't in a cradle as they are getting on for a metre in length. hope that is of some help
good luck

Last edited:

tobermoryphil

Visit site
Thanks, sandeel- mine are probably similar, but I haven't been able to look at the underside of the keels yet. How easy was it to drift them out? I suspect mine could be corroded fast into the timber and cast iron.
Also, is galv MS preferable to stainless?

tillergirl

Visit site
If they are oak, the acid in the wood will attack the galvanising. Having them made in MS and treat them as a service item (every five/ten years) for checking.