Can't Get Revs Above 700rpm on Volvo Penta 2002

RSchute

Visit site
Hi All, Upon launching my boat, I'm able to start my Volvo Penta 2002 engine but I can't get the revs up beyond 700rpm with full throttle.

Fuel appears to be getting everywhere it is supposed to get to and I had the engine running for 45+ minutes but only at low RPM and on 2 occasions it went to about 2000RPM but quickly settled down to 700RPM.

A few things to note:

- I observed a good healthy stream of fuel coming from the bleed screw, the injectors and injector pumps when the nuts were cracked open.
- The lever attached to the fuel regulation system is moving the full range when the throttle is in idle to it's maximum throttle position.
- Fresh diesel is being run directly to the lift pump.
- Both injectors were replaced 2 years ago.
- The engine sounds okay at 700rpm

Does anyone have any ideas on why I can't get beyond 700 under full throttle?

jamie N

Visit site
Welcome to the forum.
Would it be that the lever has become disconnected from the actuator 'inside' the body, such as a loosened grub screw?
I don't know your engine at all, but that's the thought that I had.

ithet

Visit site
Sounds possibly like that bloody bleed screw on the filter. See other recent thread about fitting a helicoil. When I had an issue the engine actually ran better with it sightly loosened and letting out fuel (I think when I tried to tighten it stopped fuel coming out, but air got in).

Refueler

Visit site
May sound daft - but I had similar happen with my Perkins ... but it was not the engine or fuel system at fault. I have a single lever control for throttle and direction. The pawl connection sheered and the lever moved back and forth - gears worked - but throttle didn't move ...

M6rKfLHl.jpg

All looked good ... I moved pump throttle by hand engine acted as it should ... but when handle moved ... nothing. but of course being alone - I couyld not see both engine and handle same time. It was only when I removed control from mounting - I then saw the broken arm

S5HmC2vl.jpg

aQoa8lql.jpg

ZLuKFjjl.jpg

Pal of mine who may make my Arch made a Dural copy for 5 euros .... magic !!

I even gave the whole unit a birthday :

Before ...

After ....

godju1el.jpg