Canaries marinas

ukyachty

Visit site
Ive been laid up all winter so far on the Algarve and wondering where to go next. The canaries look attractive because the weather is generally good in winter. So what's it like cruising there year round and how much will it cost? Any pointers gratefully accepted. PS am 11.9m LOA.

<hr width=100% size=1>

mike_bryon

Visit site
Best marina we found in the canaries (we did not visit all the islands) was La Gomera. A few live aboards - who made us welcome - fantastic unspoilt island. Generally we found the canaries marinas quite expensive and some are rather plastic but La Gomera was no more expensive than the rest. It is a lovely spot. We found that all we needed when crusing there where sunglasses and a handkerchief (of sail).

<hr width=100% size=1>

snowleopard

Visit site
on gran canaria, las palmas will throw you out for the duration of november to make room for the arc. there is an anchorage but it gets very crowded. when we were there a squall caused half the boats to drag. puerto mogan and the others on the south coast are a bit touristy and, i think, pretty expensive.

<hr width=100% size=1>

HaraldS

www.taniwani.eu
Also laid up, well in the water at the algarve and spent last summer in the Canaries. Will also be there again later this year. Been at all Islands except for Hierro and Fuerteventura. We anchor mostly but I have been to 4 marinas: San Sebastian on Gomera, Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Las Palmas on Gran Canaria and the new marina Rubicon in the south of Lanzarote.

Of those San Sebastian is the most balanced place, nice marina and small town in walking distance. That's where one I could imagine spending more than a week and enjoying it.

The Rubicon on Lanzarote, is brand new, wasn't even complete, very nice, at a high standard and the lowest price of the four. There I would leave my boat if I had to go home for some time. Living on board the area isn't so good, the next tourist village quite a walk away.

The other two are different, towns are big and busy, quite a way to walk to get anything, but you find big supermarkets that deliver to the boat and if you get a rental car you are ok.

Given the number of yachts passing through Gran Canaria, many services have developed and if you need anything for your boat, that's agood place. If not I'd steer clear of it and during ARC times you don't have to make a decision anyway.

As I said at the beginning we anchored a lot and the nicest place was probably at Isla Graciosa, just north of Lanzarote. This Island has three anchorages at the south end and a small village with a harbour including kind of a marina. They had new floating pontoons there, but at that time no power or water. The place was full of cruisers though. We only went there by dinghy and preferred anchoring. Fuel in that harbour was very cheap at €0.35/l.

Also anchorages around Gomera have been very nice. The most beuatiful island is probably La Palma, but not many facilities for yachts and anchoring along the part of the shore that is protected from the prevailing winds isn't possible since the last vulcanic movements are too long ago and the new ground has hardly any sediments for the anchor to bite. We were fine in Santa Cruz de La Plama, in the very inner part of the harbour, but getting in and out of the boat was hard at high tide and close to impossible at low tide. But it seemed like they were building a new marina into the basin; so maybe this year..?

In the summer there is usually quite a strong trade wind, like an F6, throughout the islands that can easily pick up three nothes at some of the corners. When we came to the NW corner of Tenerife, we were coming from the Selvagen Islands which are also worth a visit, the already strong trade picked up to 55kn true as an introduction to the Canaries.

But, if you are at the Algarve right now, there are many great places to go for. Like along the shore to Gib, all the morocco coast, and off course Madeira, Porto Santo and the Selvagens.

We will be going through all this again this year, with some modifications before we take off west.

By the way, it is probably easier to go west than to beat back up from the Canaries against the trades like we did. But with a good boat it is quite feasible. Best is to go east in the Canaries to Lanzarote or Graziosa. From there it is easy to go to Madeira. Then you take a daysail against thewind to Porto Santo and then try your luck to maybe the straight of Gibraltar or a bit more north.

Maybe we'll meet. Where is your boat laid up? We are in Lagos.

<hr width=100% size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.taniwani.de>http://www.taniwani.de</A>

HaraldS

www.taniwani.eu
Re: Lagos

F42; yacht Taniwani, a Najad 490.
Unfortunately I'm not on bord right now. Been there last week and next probably in March. Then we could have a drink together. Unfortunately lots of things to get done at home before we can take off...

<hr width=100% size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.taniwani.de>http://www.taniwani.de</A>

Trazie

Visit site

We have Tresor, motor cruiser morred up on c pontoon right in front of papershop.
When you coming back let me know and can share a bottle of vino
Traz

<hr width=100% size=1>

happyfish

Visit site

sounds like you guys are living the life.
I have been visiting Lagos for 10 years now, not as a boat owner sadly
The Marina is one of my favourite place to relax.
I wonderd if you know of anyone or have heard of anyone Who would rent their boat for about 2-4 weeks But not for sailing just so we could get a feel for living on board as I would like to move to Portugal but the property in Lagos is pricey.
thanks eddy.

<hr width=100% size=1>