Can you carry Selma fids in hand luggage?

Oscarpop

Visit site
Have a 10mm fid to have brought out. My parents are only bringing hand luggage.

Is this permissible? Or will it be classed as a weapon?
Apparently you can no longer take knitting needles in the cabin

Houleaux

Visit site
Don't know for sure, but my tiny screwdrivers - the sort used for adjusting glasses or taking watches apart - were confiscated at Gatwick....

prv

Visit site
+1 first, it's a tool, second its pointy!!

The rolled-sheetmetal Selma ones are not very pointy though. Certainly considerably less pointy than a ballpoint pen.

Still, the whole rigmarole is more about appearances than true security, and the searchers probably won't have seen one before, so I agree that there's a strong chance of it being confiscated :(

Pete

Woodlouse

Visit site
I'd be surprised if it was not allowed. They're not sharp or threatening. I was allowed to take a corkscrew with a foil knife on it in my hand luggage through Gatwick earlier this year. I was amazed.

DannyB

Visit site
I had a 10m tape measure confiscated, I had forgotten it was in my coveralls pocket, but what harm can you do with a tape measure?

Seajet

Visit site
Don't know for sure, but my tiny screwdrivers - the sort used for adjusting glasses or taking watches apart - were confiscated at Gatwick....

Yes but they looked handy to the ' security ' bods for their own collections; whether the fids get through really relies on security not being boat owners !

GrahamD

Visit site
Not a chance in hand luggage, but I took a rid set out to Greece in hold luggage two weeks ago.

I had a pair of dividers removed from a pencil case in hand luggage on a previous trip.

bigwow

Visit site
I'd be surprised if it was not allowed. They're not sharp or threatening. I was allowed to take a corkscrew with a foil knife on it in my hand luggage through Gatwick earlier this year. I was amazed.

My wife had her butlers friend confiscated at Manchester airport put a downer on her trip apparently.

Fendant

Visit site
Don't rely on the intelligence of the security People.
In the US we call them underpaid, overweight and underintelligent.

wilkinsonsails

Visit site
I have carried one out by accident .I realised it had got stuck alongside the extending handle mechanism on my bag ,when studying the X-ray picture .:)
There was no comment or confiscation .
I think it looked a bit like it was part of the bag..
.You could always try the English Braids plastic ones .
Cindy