Can we stay the night at Barry?

Sneds

Visit site
Hi, hope someone can help with some info or a link to a web site?
We are planing to come over to Cardiff from Bristol next weekend and will be mooring overnight somewhere in the bay.
I have been trying to find out if there are any visitors berths at Barry? Does the harbour dry out or has someone turned part of the docks into a marina?
Any info or pointers gratefully recieved.

Cheers /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Csail

N/A
Visit site
Speak to the pilots or BYC, there used to be a few buoys for overnight that stay afloat BUT why on earth do you want to stop there /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Sneds

Visit site
Not sure if we do now! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif Just wondered if we could.
Used to spend many happy hours at the fair ground on Barry Island, guess we'll stay in Penarth Quays and walk up the hill.
(Can you still do that?) It was only after years did I realise that Barry Island wasn't an island at all! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

graham

Visit site
Definitely dont visit Barry in the next fortnight or so unless you like the sound of the dredger working day and night. All the moorings are lifted this time of year to allow dredging.And bed levelling to happen.

The only access to the shore is the BYC Slipway which is accesible by dinghy until about half tide.After that you are stuck either on the boat or ashore for about 5 or 6 hours.

During the Summer Yacht club members allow visitors to raft on their boats provided adequate care is taken with fenders etc.If the tide is in and the bar open Im sure you would be welcome.

There are NO visitors moorings.Most of the moorings dry out to soft mud at about half tide.The swinging mooring near the lifeboat belongs to the Bristol Pilots .More often than not you will be told not to stay overnight on there.

If ships are bound in or out of Barry You cant use the buoy anyway as you could swing into the fairway .

final bit of gloom is never visit in any wind between NE and through SE to South as a swell will give you an uncomfortable night. N or W and SW are OK.

There is talk of a marina being built in Barry Dock but nothing concrete yet.

In the season Barry Can be a usefull staging post if your proceeding up or down channel.You can get at least part way in to the outer harbour even at LW springs. The Yacht Club does welcome visitors who take care and use fenders etc. BYC

Sneds

Visit site
Thanks for that, I had a look at the yacht club web site.
For some reason I thought a marina had been built in or around the docks.
We haven't been over for well over a year now, so looking forward to our visit to "the bay" in the past we have stayed at CBYC and will probably do so again, altough we must have a shore power hook up as no leccy means no heating!

graham

Visit site
There is scaletrix on the visitors pontoon at CBYC also up at the old dry dock pontoons run by the council.Unless its forecast fairly warm I usually look for somewhere with power this time of year for the same reason.

We are away for a weekend break next weekend or I would have met you on the pontoons.

Hope you have a good weekend.I'm thinking of heading up to Portishead tommorow afternoon to get the first lock in about 1900 1930 ish I think. You have just reminded me to put the heater in the car. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

003-3.jpg

Old dry dock pontoons.

Visit site
Cardiff Yacht Club has free visitor overnight berths,short walk to the bay and all its delights.pm me if you want for more details.

Visit site
No, the main visitor pontoon is near the dingey slip,right in line with the dingey compond,the one near the main slipway can be used,but its a bit rickety.

Csail

N/A
Visit site
Do people use those dinghy fingers in the old dock, i reckon anything over about 20' would either stick out too far or just too big for the space.

harveymae

Visit site
we try and stay at the old docks water/elec swmbo likes it walk into town and quiet [image]http://www.pdb1.co.uk/imagepath/701aff0a558036419c578bc3ec639a49.jpg [/image]

Visit site
Theres longer ones down at the far end but it can be hard to manourve to get back out,but then i`m a crap driver. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Sneds

Visit site
IS there leccy at Cardiff Yacht Club?
Free mooring sounds good to me, especially if it is customary to spend a few quid at the bar!
/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Mike_S

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Do people use those dinghy fingers in the old dock, i reckon anything over about 20' would either stick out too far or just too big for the space.

[/ QUOTE ]

yup, used them quite a bit last year and yes we do stick out a bit but when the main pontoons are full beggars can't be choosers /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Watched someone get well and truly wedged in place though at the far end (where they're longer), ended up going down to help them out as I couldn't bear to see them scratch their new boat anymore than they already had /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Sneds

Visit site
Don't mind paying for the leccy if there is any?
We have no heating if we have no shore power and its a bit chilly at night!
Weather isn't looking to good for this coming weekend /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif but looking forward to getting over to Cardiff as soon as.

Visit site
There is no leccy on the pontoons,the nearest outlet is just beside the dingey compound,you would need a very long extension lead,sorry. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Sneds

Visit site
Don't think we'll be coming over this weekend, weather Sunday is looking a bit dodgy.
We will be sure to visit when the spring comes, hopefully the weather will be warmer then and no shore power will be needed.
BTW we will be offer for the BCYA rally in July.

Visit site
Look forward to seeing you,dont blame you not coming over this weekend,the waves in the bay by the church this morning were huge,i cant remember them being so large,its calmed down a lot now and the suns coming out,good for bussiness. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif