Can I run a bmc 1500 fisherboy out of the water

deadfish

Visit site
Just aquired a Shetland 570 fitted with a bmc 1500 diesel that was marinised by Wortham Blake (I believe its called a Fisherboy) and is mated to an Enfield Z drive. This boat has been sitting on a trailer for the last 10 years and I obviously have some work to do on the engine. My question is can the engine be started whilst the boat is still on the trailer ? I'm thinking of inserting a hose into the sea cock so that the raw water cooling pump can draw water up from a large container. Will the pump (a Jabsco) be man enough to lift the water that extra distance or would it be better connecting a garden hose to the sea cock and leaving the tap running. Any ideas gratefully received.
Nigel

Last edited:

scottie

Visit site
Put a bucket in bottom of boat and draw from bucket use a hose to fill bucket

Danger of running with hose direct to engine is filling the engine via the exhaust

Try turning the engine by hand before starting With stop control on and consider using temp fuel supply as diesel left for years is suspect
Remove propeller if fitted
Change the impeller in the raw water pump before you run the engine as it may well be brittle and break up.
Make shure that the boat is well supported as running the engine will cause vibration

Jim@sea

Visit site
Take the injectors out and squirt some parraffin/wd 40 into the bores. Leave for 48 hours. The bores may have gone rusty and the piston rings may have stuck to the cylinders.Put a socket on the crankshaft and turn the engine over IN THE OPPOSITE DIRECTION to what it turns when running and continue to feel if it is free. Then turn the engine over with the injectors out with the starter motor. You may find that with the injectors out any **** will be blown out. Flush the diesel system so that you are not trying to start the engine with the fuel that has been lying dormant in the system for 10 years. ETC. Put a new rubber impellor in even before you start.

deadfish

Visit site
bmc 1500 running when out of the water

Many thanks for the replies and I note that I should fit a new impellor in the raw water pump, unfortunately its a Jabsco 6490-252 which are now obsolete. Will try to source an impellor from somewhere if not its a new pump at a ridiculous price of £186! Got some Redex to put into the bores and leave to soak.

Jim@sea

Visit site
I would try and find a new impeller. My boat has shredded 2 and what I now do at the start of every season is I fit a new one and keep the old one as a spare.