can i fix lcd?

jana

Visit site
some of the digits in the LCD display of my depth sounder have missing lines - is it possible for me to fix this, or is it a return to manufacturer job?
thanks

<hr width=100% size=1>

Jools_of_Top_Cat

Visit site
I don't think this is a home repair job, in fact you will probably find it will be a new display. Most manufacturers will buy them in, they are a sealed unit.

But I could be wrong, which company is it?

<hr width=100% size=1>Julian

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.topcatsail.co.uk/TC_minicruise_2003_01.html>Cardigan Bay Cruise</A>

extravert

Not far from Uwchmynydd, near Bwlchtocyn, just up
Visit site
It may be a failure inside the LCD itself, in which case a new one is required, or it may be a poor connection between the LCD and the rest of the electronics, in which case you may be able to fix it yourself.

Some of the connectors used between LCDs and circuit boards look rather bizarre to say the least, and upon dismantling you may wonder where the connection is. Others use a more recognizable ribbon cable or direct push-on connectors.

A strange connection I found in a Cetrek display was a line of copper pads on the circuit boards, on which pressed a squidgy foam looking strip on the side of the LCD. This must have been conducting, although you wouldn't have thought so looking at it. One of the lines was not conducting, and a single line on the display was blank. A quick wipe with a bit of solvent solved it.

If the connector is a push on type (either direct or a ribbon cable) and has gone open circuit because of dirt or corrosion, pushing it on and off a few times will usually clean it up sufficiently.

The hardest bit may be finding your way into the display and opening it up without damaging it. Some manufacturers used weird screw head patterns well hidden away, probably to stop people like me getting my fingers in.

If you do open it up take sensible precautions against static discharge damage. Some components can be sensitive and destroyed. A good safe place is on a metal sink drainer (with the sink plug in). Touch the tap before you start.

<hr width=100% size=1>Adventures of the VAT unpaid <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.xrayted.fsnet.co.uk>Teddy Bear Boat</A>

M_Russell

Visit site
"A strange connection I found in a Cetrek display was a line of copper pads on the circuit boards, on which pressed a squidgy foam looking strip on the side of the LCD"

Elastomeric is the word you're looking for.

Anyway good advice from extrapervert, LCD's often fail due to bad connection (particularly the Elastomeric types) so well worth trying a clean if you are confident (competent) enough but do pay heed to static precautions. If it's expensive and not too old it may be safer to get it profesionally looked at.

<hr width=100% size=1>