Calshot

Richard52

Visit site
I am visiting the Solent area with my family (sailing of course!) and for the kids, we wondered what facilities there are at Calshot. Has anyone visited there with their families and what are they like?

<hr width=100% size=1>

jimi

Visit site
Its a bit local governmenty which means access can be a bit of a pain in the proverbial. There is a climbing wall and dry ski slope but it does tend to be a bit more for organised groups. The climbing wall is reasonable, but they'll only let you on it after they've assessed your incontinence.

<hr width=100% size=1>
sailboat_e0.gif

Richard52

Visit site
Thanks for replies but I was really wondering how people families found Calshot and the surrounding area. I have a teenage daughter and son and a little one, so what facilites are suitable in the Solent area? Any good pubs mateys?

<hr width=100% size=1>

Twister_Ken

'ang on a mo, I'll just take some bearings
Visit site
Depending on whether you write tourist brochure copy or not, Calshot could be considered to be on the edge of the New Forest, so ponies, long walks, etc, but distinct lack of nightlife except for badgers and foxes.

Calshot also sits just to windward (usually) of a power station and an oil refinery, so it is very scenic only if you wear blinkers.

Plenty of pubs in New Forest, some grockle-free.

Paradoxically, Ashlett Creek, despite being sandwiched 'twixt aforementioned power station and refinery, is v. nice (with those blinkers), and can be sailed into for a short while either side of high water.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.hants.gov.uk/leisure/coast/villages/ashlett.html>http://www.hants.gov.uk/leisure/coast/villages/ashlett.html</A>

There are some moorings behind the 'hook' at Calshot Spit, but I'm not sure what chance a visitor has of finding one free.

<hr width=100% size=1>