Calor Gas Fittings

Sinc

Visit site
We need to replace the gas cylinder tap on our Fulmar and it seems we are falling foul of modernisation!
The gas cylinders sit in a cockpit locker with a tap on the bottle and a regulator mounted on the back locker wall. The tap threads are becoming u/s but we can't find a straight replacement.
The recommendation is to replace with a combined tap and regulator - but there isn't enough height in the locker for that.
Any ideas would be gratefully received.
Graham

ostell

Visit site
Or calor gas themselves here. Been in there this week for bits and current recommendation is bulkhead mounted regulator with matching hose to bottle. Regulator takes not just calor gas but other types of bottles, with appropriate adapters.

ostell

Visit site
Ok, it's not Calor, it Camping Gaz by the look of the bottles. I presume you mean the thread on the adapter that sits on the top of the gas bottle. Does one of these fit the bill?

I recognise that regulator. Has it got 11" written on the plastic plug in the centre? Out of date.

Last edited:

Sinc

Visit site
Ostell,
Thanks I think you're right - bizarrely one of the cylinders has 'Calor' on it. but clearly they are really Camping Gaz.
I'll quietly curl up in the corner in embarrassment - and go and search in different places.

seumask

Visit site
I have Fulmar with the same set up and we have just replaced it with one of those camping gas converters as posted above.

NOTE the thread to the Pipe connection is a "Reverse Thread" that goes the opposit way to nomal threads. To undo tighten up!!

ostell

Visit site
Ostell,
Thanks I think you're right - bizarrely one of the cylinders has 'Calor' on it. but clearly they are really Camping Gaz.
I'll quietly curl up in the corner in embarrassment - and go and search in different places.
The link I gave should get you the item you want I think.

Calor gas connectors are a left hand thread

saltylegs

Visit site
I would be more concerned about the regulator its past its use by date and the vent is pointing upwards, yes it may becovered so no water splashs on it but they still "sweat" while in use and this moisture can find its way down the vent

VicS

Visit site
It is recommended that the regulators are replaced every 10 years and hoses every 5 years.

the hoses should be date stamped with year of manufacture .
Never noticed a date on a regulator though

BES are usually cheaper than Calor/Socal for fittings.

You might like to consider the merits of using a regulator that conforms to the Annexe M specs for marine use.

Summary of legal requirements and standards
EN 12864 annex M
This standard is for the design and manufacture of
regulators for LPG cylinders to supply appliances installed
in saltwater boats.
• Material in contact with the atmosphere shall be suitably
corrosion resistant. In particular this includes internal
components above the diaphragm.
• The vent shall be on the edge of the diaphragm, in a
suitable location and of suitable size to drain water which
may collect on the diaphragm.
• Shall incorporate an over-pressure relief device, the
vent shall be provided with a pipe connection facing
downwards.
• Operating pressure specification to annex D.
PD 5482 - 3 2005
Codes of practice for LPG installations in boats,
yachts and other vessels:
‘Regulators must
conform to EN 12864.’
BS EN ISO 10239 2000
Small craft LPG installation regulation covering
all vessels built after Nov 2000: ‘Regulators must
incorporate a pressure relief valve.’
BS en ISO 10239 2008
Regulators installed in vessels used in a saltwater
environment must conform to EN 12863 annex M.
Systems must include a high pressure gauge.​

HermanD

Visit site
Safety problem?

After looking to the photo's
Where the copper pipe leaves the gaslocker, it does not look gastight.
Gas may leak in your boat. Pleace check.
HD

saltylegs

Visit site
This would seem to be a regulator without a vent.

the vent is in 12 o clock position just above the center cap with the 2 holes in it.
it is a pin hole type vent/breather all regulators have some type of vent/breather as when the gas flows the rubber diaphram moves in and out to maintain the correct pressure.
when the vent becomes blocked then the back pressure stops the diaphram moving and hey presto either no gas or too much gas.
when water gets to the back of the diaphram then the cooling effect of the gas passing through the reg freezes the water and this also stops the diaphram moving.