Calling the CG

mjf

w.london - boat on solent- RIB on Tidal Thames
Visit site
Last weekend I was listening to Ch16 and on saturday I was amazed at the number of calls made to Solent CG.

Before Noon the helicopter had been deployed several times....

Then, in the afternoon I was horrified to hear a distress (Pan Pan I Think) from a chap in Newtown River who wished to leave his anchorage and could not get his anchor aweigh.

Of course the CG helped with advice (after calling a few mates i think) but what a performance. I can understand the problem esp. as it was quite gusty but I was just surprised that this warrented a call to a busy CG station.

duncan

Visit site
quite a convoluted discussion on scuttlebutt about the circus events.....

personally I would simply leave the damm thing buoyed off and try and resolve it another time either by sending a frindly diver or even a few hours later in more favorable wind and tide conditions (er actually I had to do that one night in the middle of Poole Bay once and got it back the next morning) - totally agree it's not a safety issue (ie CG).

I actually diverted at the request of Portland CG the previous Sat to a mobo in Studalnd that reported similar problems - however they resolved them before I got there. A lot less traffic that weekend!

The coming weekend promises to provide hours of fun - yet to decide whether to simply sit on the mooring listening to the vhf or actually venture out!

DAKA

Visit site
Novices find it very difficult to remain calm.

I remember the first time I went aground all sorts of ridiculous things go through your mind

What happens if the tide doesnt come in ?
What happens if the boat sticks to the bottom and sinks as the tide comes in ?
what happens if a ship comes and runs us over while we are aground ?

The coast guard knows this and his job 99% of the time is just to hold a hand through the ordeal.

( I didnt call the rescue services but I can see it is easy to panic ).

gjgm

Visit site
I think there is something to be said for at least advising them, so they are aware of potential issues developing around their patch. The clearer picture they have, presumably the better they can allocate resources. Certainly last summer i recall listening to a few calls to CG, who politely said too bad mate,keep in touch over the next few hours, an then we can see if there s a friendly vessel who can help out. Quite amusing hearing the tone of surprise from some who thought the largest naval taskforce since the falklands was about to be launched,coming to assist. Still, you also hear some not very funny ones too...

mjf

Visit site
Have to agree about knowing of potential issues that might become more serious.

I also take the point about 'panic' setting in at an early stage - but that said in a safe anchorage having gear fouled / stuck seems to me at the lower end of catastrophes that can beset us. The chap clearly had no idea what to do.

With the huge advantage of not being there - surely buoying it off and telephoning the NT/CG on the land line to advise what you have done would have done the job.

The issue is keeping people advised and for the CG not to put peeps off calling them. in this case they were excellent IMHO.
Just a silly waste of time

AIDY

www.ybw.com
bet solent CG a looking forward to the easter weekend. when lots will be out on the water for the first time this year /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

robind

Visit site
Ask any coast guard officer and they will tell you that they love their job and lets face it, without us there is no need for them! Anyway aren`t the government trying to amalgamate them with the navy volenteer service or something like that for the protection of out coast???

mjf

Visit site
Yes, O/B now just enjoying the sunshine and sorting out the F/B etc which except for the helm seat has been under canvas too long.

Plan is Newtown on the 'morrow then Yarmouth then Lymington then after Hols might zap to Poole - all Wx dependant of course.

Thought of you yesterday when SHMBO went to hythe. 1st time I've been - I like it as a location.

brupeckett

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Ye, but Saturdays performance was a bit like calling the police because your car will not start........

[/ QUOTE ]

Done that

OK, OK, so he was off duty, lived two doors down and had a set of jump leads /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

peterb26

www.theblundells.co.uk
As an ex-volunteer coastguard, heres my four-penneth.

The Ops Room would ALWAYS rather know about a minor problem early on and offer their advice or summon help on your behalf.

They will not despatch the helo unless it is necessary - so if IJ is in the air, its because someone needs its help.

If you speak to the guys in the Ops Room, they will say that an early call to them is welcome so that they can give their support from the comfort of Lee On Solent. They will always advise you in a way that reduces the chance of you becoming a tragedy. In an adrenalin-charged situation at sea, your logic may not be quite as good........

Take a simple problem like a rope round a prop. Its a wretched nuisance but not life threatening. The ops room will sort you out help or a commercial tow.

However - if you do your own thing and apply perhaps 300 horsepower to that rope and then rip out the P-bracket, stern gland et al, then you immediately become a life-threatening situation as the water rises round your ears........

Hence - give them a call - they dont bite...........

PS - And in the Solent, please do your radio checks on Ch 67 and not Ch 16. (Or they might bite!)