Calibrating nmea 2000 instruments

roblpm

Visit site
Ok. I have a post on the pbo forum but it is disappearing at a rapid rate.

So at the risk of getting on trouble for a double post here goes......

I like gadgets, but not expensive proprietary ones!

So I want to redo the electronics on my humble 28 footer but based around a shipmodul multiplexor that i already have.

I then have a number of gadgets..... Sailracer on my phone, opencpn on a laptop for cruising, and a custom intel edison racebox for starting and racing. I would like to not have to enter calibration settings on each one of these......

What is doing my head in is just trying to find out how the main manufacturers do their calibration.

Obviously it doesn't matter if you buy for example a b&g system, a ridiculously expensive processor etc. They sort the call and everything works.

All I want is a calibrated log, wind direction and speed and a heading sensor.

So you would have thought you could buy a base nmea 2000 network, a wind sensor, a dst sensor and a heading sensor. Plug it all in. Stick a laptop on the network. Calibrate the sensors with the sensors holding the calibration data and away you go. All my gadgets will get the same information over the network.

So far:
B&g tell me that the log speed calibration is in the triton display. So not calibrated on the network.
Raymarine can't confirm that the calibrations are stored in the itc5 box or if some are in the i70s display.
Garmin tell me that they store the calibrations in the sensors but just on the phone. No confirmation.

Maybe i am taking this too seriously. But before i shell out a grand and a bit I really want to know......

I think cruisers don't probably care too much about this. So will see if anyone responds on here. And will post anything I find.

roblpm

Visit site
B&g..... I thought the whole point of the dst800 was that it was a smart sensor?!

Hi Robert,*

Assuming you are planning to use a 608 mast head unit the depth and wind calibration is stored in the sensors so this data would appear correct.*

Boat speed calibration is slightly different in that the calibration value is transmitted system wide and the calculation to correct is locally carried out in each display. This means boat speed calibrated via Triton 2 o Zeus 2/3 will display correctly on all B&G displays but likely not come through correct on your N2k to WiFi device.*