Caernaron Victoria Dock Gate Failure

TSB240

Visit site
IMG-20230603-WA0006.jpg
The gate has been sealed and all boats are now refloated. A significant repair will be required. Access and egress was limited to shallow draft boats at high tide today as the gate is currently locked in the raised position.

Damage to unattended boats was minimised by coordinated efforts of local staff,Berth holders and visitors. Inevitably there will be some claims.

There are a number of vacant all tide swinging moorings off Port Dinorwic.
These have all recently been checked and are rated to 12 ton.
I expect an NTM will be issued after a planned full inspection on Wednesday.

Pwmcooke

Visit site
See the result of the catastrophic gate failure in Caernarfon yesterday on YouTube - Victoria Dock drain down Caernarfon. You’ll need to check beforehand for a while if you are thinking of visiting in your boat.

Mister E

Visit site
I was looking at the Dock only yesterday at about 1 pm, there was plenty of water in there then.
Maybe a good time to get the JCB in to shift some silt.

TSB240

Visit site
Dave
If only you had smellovision!
Very distressing indeed.

The local Harbour Trust team did a good job in minimising damage and restoring the gate seal.
They did their best in conjunction with berth holders and visitors to look after unattended boats in trying circumstances.
The main damage was to long term alongside berthed boats on the visitors pontoons.
The pontoons dried at crazy angles as recent dredging could only reach so far underneath. This meant alongside rafted boats potentially ended up drying unfenderred ontop of them including cleats and pontoon hard edges.

Boats on finger Berths appeared to settle more easily without major risk.

It could have been much worse if it had happened in a mid winter gale with fewer helpers available.

Gwynedd council are inspecting the gate on Wednesday. Early estimates are that repairs will take 3 weeks.

Skylark

Visit site
Thanks for giving a more colourful description, Steve @TSB240. 3rd party pictures are always worse if one has personal experience of the Dock. I’ve been on the “dead man’s shoes” list for a number of years and I’d return to north Wales in a heart beat.

Good camaraderie, as ever, from the local guys.