cabin heater, i have found one

chriswilliams29

Visit site
i have been looking for a cabin heater and tried the american import web site but i thgought over 100 pounds to deliver was not on, so ,i wnt to a camping store and bought a propane heater .
its like a calor gas fire with the huge bottle that we cannot carry but its a minature.
it 30cm high 30cm wide and 20cm deep its so light and instant heat for 60 pound its ideal. it takes propane cans £2. the size of an aerosol. just bideal if you have a small space. BUT DONT FORGET LEAVE AWINDOW OPEN FOR OXYGEN.

Visit site
As you say, ventillation is vital.

I remember a sad occurrence a long time back where a couple were found dead in a river cruiser not far from here victims of CO poisoning.

I have used "camping heaters" on several boats it the past but thought it advisable to invest in a CO alarm just in case the ventillation wasn't enough. These heaters provide good heat output but the safety of surrounding surfaces- they can heat plywood even four feet above them to damaging degrees should be seiously addressed. They are also susceptible to falling over if you are subjected to wash from passing craft. I would incidentally NEVER use one whilst under way.

We had one that fitted on the back of a louvred cabin door on our first boat and this was an ideal location. On our last UK boat (we now sail in Greece so don't need a heater!) it sat on a panel that swung out from the base of the chart table footwell and the Gaz bottle feeding it sat behind it with some rubber car door edging pressed onto its base to give grip & prevent damage - remember to remove it when exchanging the cylinder. This worked well and the constant diligence required to maintain safety was preferable to freezing in the UK boating climate.

Steve Cronin

Aja

Visit site
Found that works admirably..... unless of course she is cold also! Shame about the running costs.

Donald

charles_reed

Visit site
I just light the oven, that acta as a long-term heat-sink.

The troubles, however, with all combustion heaters in a confined space like a boat rule them out for more than occasional, emergency use.
I refer, not only to CO poisoning, but, nearly as bad, the amount of combustion water vapour put into the atmosphere
After the Eberspacher packed up I bought a replacement 2nd hand one for less than 1/2 the repair price, but have still not got round to fitting it.

Even down to -8C outside I've found a fan heater far better than othe forms of heating, though some liveaboards swear by solid-fuel stoves - burning driftwood is so picturesque (and cheap). Most people have access to shorepower if they're staying for any length of time.

heinzthedog57

Visit site
a firebrick works well too. Takes ages to cool down and can stand falling from hob to deck better than a flowerpot. Wrap it in a towel & its ahot water bottle which wont leak or burst.

<hr width=100% size=1>