Cabin Fans

liverpool

Visit site
I am planning to fit cabin fans (in preparation for a long hot summer in northern France! - but perhaps more realistically for the Med in a year or two) and would welcome any feedback from the forum based on experience of different makes ( eg Hella, Caframo) especially on how effective these are and how noisy. Thanks for any advice.
Iain

Gypsy

www.tech-x.com.au
I chose Hella (black, 20cm dia) for low current and low noise. There are 2 speeds, usually the low speed was adequate and whisper quiet in the Med except on those nights when the boat didn't cool from the previous days of heat. Hi speed is noisier but still not so intrusive as to cause us problems sleeping.

Lo speed uses 0.2A whilst Hi uses 0.4A. The only drawback is they are open from the rear and you can get a fright adjusting the angle in the dark when your finger gets hit by the blades. No damage to the finger but it does wake you up!

CaptainCava

Visit site
I bought a Hella and 2 cheap clip on fans, all from Force 4 last year. The IMO the clip on ones are better, cost a quarter of the Hella price and even if they don't last as long (although I don't know that) you can afford to throw away and buy 3 more!

Salty John

www.saltyjohn.co.uk
We sell the Caframo 757 so be aware of commercial interest, but the reason we sell them is we had two aboard our boat on a two year tropic cruise. They are the quietest yet most powerful we have ever used.
If you live on board full time you appreciate how irritating cheap noisy fans can be.

Gerry

www.gerryantics.blogspot.com
A vote for caframo, and we DON'T sell them!

Hardly any noise, good tip when you mount them put piece of close-cell foam between stand and bulkhead really dulls any vibration. Two speed, low power use and powerful cooling breeze.

Started out with one, now after 4 years in the Tropics have 5! One over galley, one over nav station, one at foot of berth both in main and aft cabins and one in the saloon...

No we don't have them on all the time but they really have made a great difference to our comfort onboard.

www.gerryantics.blogspot.com

jeremyshaw

Visit site
We use both Hella and Carafamo.

I find the Hella gives a better directional flow. Ours are 7 years old and often run all night. Never had problems. Downside is they are hard to clean.

I use the Carafamo where I want something less bulky and there is a risk of touching. Easier to clean, though if the spring loaded base eases they can vibrate and be difficult to deal with. A friend's Carafamo overheated and nearly caught fire which was scary, but I know of no other instance.

Travelmate

Visit site
We have been in the tropics for about 8 years. Have both Hella and Caframo. Good idea about the closed cell foam. Use Hella's in the saloon and the Caframo in the aft cabin. Both work well.
A word of warning.
Use a low current rating in line fuze with the Hella as the main circuit breaker on the control panel is too large for the fine wires of the Hella. We have installed 2A fuses after a number of fires on board yachts in Thailand/Malaysia.

A

Anonymous

We've got dc fans (not Hellas but look-alikes) but we only use mains fans now, from the inverter. The power drain is very low, the fans are cheap, powerful and almost silent. We've got a small modified-sine inverter that runs from a cigar socket in the bedroom and saves running the larger inverter overnight.

I really commend it to you, try it before splashing out on expensive and noisy dc fans.

johnneale

Visit site
We use a large 12v computer fan (from maplins) and made a casing for it. Just about silent and neglible power. (Think it also generates v high freq whistle which keeps mosquitoes away. Put a 50 ohm resistor in series with a switch to adjust power.