Buying First Boat

Jono

Visit site
I'm in the process of buying my first yacht.

I have now put an offer in her - and we're now haggling but the broker has now told me that when the current owner had her surveyed in May last year - the surveyor made a comment about "wicking" - but no treatment rquired. Now does anyone know what this means - I understand that it can lead to an Osmosis condition?

Any help gratefully received.

Thanks,

Jono

david_e

www.touraine.blogspot.com
Not familiar with the term, but ask to see a copy of the survey if they will let you, and any repair receipts. The more cynical side of me wonders why a broker is declaring such a fact at the negotiating stage, no doubt there is a good explanation.
Good luck

PS what boat is it, details etc will get a better response from the forum?

LeonF

Visit site
Get a good survey. A sailing friend said that when he left his boat in one winter rather than lifting out as he always did dhe showed signs of wicking-- moisture absorption i believe. I agree with previous replies- give us more details- you just might be spared the cost of a surveyor if someone else knows the boat. I wasted 400 pounds ( no sterling signs on this keyboard in Thailand) two years ago but picked up on this forum someone else about to do the same, and the pulled out just in time!

L.A.R.Ferguson

PeterGibbs

Visit site
Re;wicking

Wicking occurs when mositure enters the hull and runs along the glass fibres.
Find another boat and sleep easy! Whatever savings you might make buying this vessel could well be more than swamped with remedial work - and subsequent loss of market value!

PWG

Jono

Visit site
Re: spill the beans...

Thanks for your replies.

I'm trying to understand a bit more abot wicking. It seems to be something that happens where osmosis has taken place and the "mositure and/or breakdown products creep up the internal fibres by surface tension and capillary action."

The boat is an Etap 26. Lovely boat but it has rather put me off at this stage.

I was intending to have a good survey anyway. The survey where the wicking was mentioned is from May last year. The report apparently said that nothing needed to be done...?! She's been out of the water since the beginning of the year.

I guess what I need to know - if repairs need to be carried out - what sort of money are we talking about.

Any advice welcome!

Jono

lezgar

Visit site

In a no transparent gel coat, the gel coat have to be take off if you want to see if the hull have or not wicking. Like surveyors have responsability about they say in the survey, usually they prefer do not take a lot of risks and say thinks like "there are little evidence ...", "are within accepted limits", "are considere adequate, however, ...", "although inspected as far is possible, it was not possible ...", "although all appear satisfactory, there is not garantee ..." "It is no possible to comment on the condition ..."

When I bought the boat she had her own ventilated gas locker with a drain lower that the stowage, but the survey say: "A dedicated stowage drain should be fitted to prevent the build up of gas in the stowage" I think that the surveyor didn't open the gas locker.

G

Were the hull to require the gelcoat peeling and epoxying you're looking at about 2500ukp for a 26 footer. Does the survey mention moisture levels?

Regards,

Peter
http://www.mistressofmourne.com

gtmoore

Visit site

I was recently quoted £120 +VAT per foot LWL plus another £400 +VAT for a 5yr guarantee. I was also told it could take 12 weeks or more to complete the job depending upon how quickly the hull dried.

PeterGibbs

Visit site
Re: cost of repairs, and more repairs

You know the one about the piece of string........

There are so many fine vessels on the market right now - if you save a few bob now, what will the account look like in 2 years' time when you've had to face the hull problems plus 2 years!

Be resolute!

PWG