Buying abroad and more

Lotteryloser

Visit site
Hi everybody

We have been reading the forum for sometime and have to say it is a very useful read. We have now (just about) taken the decision to go for it and the house is up for sale!

We have seen a boat (Hunter 450 Passage with CC) that seems to have lovely living area, space, decent shower etc etc. It is currently in Turkey under a Turkish flag.

Now the questions:

Does anyone have any experience of this particular Hunter (1998) and does it have any obvious pros and cons?

All things being equal, we are going to travel over there and have a look-see, and subject to that get a survey undertaken. Anyone recommend a surveyor for Istanbul? Is it best to get a Brit and if need be fly them out or trust locally? The seller runs the boatyard - I know I am cynical.

Whilst traveling west from Turkey through the Med is there any advantage or disadvantage to being British under a Turkish flagged boat? Do we have the option to re-register under British flag and if so can we do that remotely? Any other implications? If re-registered I assume we can rename the boat subject to the name being unique?

We may subject to how we get on and whether we feel experienced enough etc enroll in the ARC as we utlimately want to be in the US (American wife). Any other implications for the boat or the flag in this?

I would much appreciate any and all advice from the wealth of expe3rience out there. In any event thank you to all contributors for the information etc that has already proved invaluable.

Regards

Doug & Lori

<hr width=100% size=1>

TonyD

Visit site
Why not buy in the US, if that is where you want to be? With current exchange rates, boats in the US are comparatively cheap at the moment and the choice will be greater than in Turkey

<hr width=100% size=1>

Lotteryloser

Visit site
Thanks Tony but the American wife (btw, what does SWMBHO spelling? stand for?) loves travelling in Europe, so we intend sailing at least a few months in the med before exploring other options. I am a confident Day Skipper, but intend doing more training experience, and hopefully up to Coastal with at least that in theory. I don't feel ready to do transatlantic back here early on in our travels, and feel I ought to experience some bad weather etc with more experienced skipper! Worst so far is F6-7

I guess I could buy the boat there and hire a skippper etc, but comparative boats i.e.exactly same model appear to be more over there compared to one we have found. Have looked at around 5-8 equivalents on the net. (Yes, I was surprised too!)

Regards

Doug

<hr width=100% size=1>

snowleopard

Visit site
just one comment- if you plan to do the ARC, first ask yourself 'do i feel confident to do the crossing on my own?'

if the answer is no, don't go, because you will be on your own! it's a big ocean and there is no AA van on the next corner. the ARC is fun and the radio net, when it works, provides some extra cover. it isn't a support mechanism for inexperienced would-be voyagers.

rant over, have a good trip!

<hr width=100% size=1>

Spacewaist

blog.mailasail.com
1 A Hunter is a comparatively roomy beamy, lightweight boat. Good for the Med, for sitting in ports (67% of cruising is in harbour) but Id think more than twice about ocean passagemaking in a boat like that.

2 For the same money, Id looka at something a bit older and heavier which also has a more "in the water" than "on the water" hull shape.

3 Registration is based upon residence. If you live in the UK you can flag her UK. Search the forums here - there are planty of threads on the subject.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Lotteryloser

Visit site
Thanks guys - interesting about the "on the water" Vs "in the water" bit. We certainly intend getting around the med and therefore that is the proimary consideration. I saw an Westerly Ocean 49 but couldn't afford it.

What other options are there with decent owners cabin, shower etc?

Re Atlantic - we either feel ok after several months/a year in the med about crossing or not. I certainly would not do it if I thought we weren't capable and would be talking to lots of people seeking advice / experience as we go. We are very level headed that way and bravado will not rule the day! Thanks for the concern.

Possibly even advertise for a skipper as there is only wifey and I. In any event I will check out if there are owners that have done it and how stable etc they are.

Regards

<hr width=100% size=1>

cas

Visit site
Hi Doug and Lorie

I work in Turkey for Sunbird International Yachtsales. A few things that I think would help you. First - You cannot own a boat under aTurkish flag - only a Turkish national may do this. Second - You will have to export the yacht -make sure it is understood who is paying the costs of export. If the boat is currently owned by a company this is relatively straightforward but if it is private matters are more complicated.

There are good surveyors down here, including at east one who is MCA,RYA,ABYA appproved.

I sense that whoever you are dealing with in Istanbul is not giving you appropriate advice on the paperwork side of things. If we can help feel free to contact me at Sunbird Marmaris 0090 252 4128325

Best of luck

Peter Cas

<hr width=100% size=1>

Lotteryloser

Visit site
Thanks Peter

In fairness the owner has said that we would need to export it and that it would cost around $2000 (American dollars). We plan to see the boat later in Sept, but would want it registered in America (apprently ok) which gives us advatnages when it comes to travelling around the EU with VAT etc. (Hopefully!!)

My wife will be the owner and she is American, so from what I have read, we should be ok.......

Regards

Doug

<hr width=100% size=1>

AndrewB

Visit site
American registration

A little care needed here. First, I think by registering in the US you may become liable for US taxes and dues on the yacht, this perhaps ought to be checked.

Secondly, theoretically you are only allowed to keep a US registered yacht in the EU for 18 months under temporary importation relief arrangements (i.e. without paying VAT), and you yourself are not permitted to use it without the owner aboard.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Lotteryloser

Visit site
Re: American registration

Ah - all Governments like to get you don't they. I will get the USA position checked out, but was naively hoping the $2000 would be something to do with that as it seems a lot of money for some paperwork!

Thanks for the feedback.

<hr width=100% size=1>

www.BrendanChandlerYachtDelivery.co.uk
Hi There,
Suggest that you look again at buying in US, prices there are really cheap if buying with £ or €, especially if you want a yacht without aircon etc.
Older boats that sit in the water are very cheap there.

Get a quote for a delivery skipper (there are plenty on-line) to UK or Med and both travel as crew. You will learn far more on a West/East crossing than in several years day sailing.

If boats in Turkey are cheaper, perhaps there is a good reason?

Enjoy

Brendan

<hr width=100% size=1>
http://hometown.aol.co.uk/brendanchandler/index.html