Burnham tidal stream change

andyo

Visit site
Hi - we need to get our Konsort back from Burnham to Bradwell next weekend following a sail repair. We'd like/need a falling tide to help us out of the river. Can anyone tell me when the stream in the river at Burnham changes direction at high tide? i.e. how early before high tide coudl we start assuming we don't want to punch an incoming for too long - especially as the wind forecast looks light (well, they do at the moment.)

Thanks,

Andy

dombuckley

Visit site
My own observation is that there's very little in it. Slack water is only about 10 minutes ahead of predicted high water at springs (as it is at the weekend). Tide is very much the controlling factor rather than the outflow of the river, particularly once you get below the confluence with the Roach.

ex-Gladys

Visit site
My own observation is that there's very little in it. Slack water is only about 10 minutes ahead of predicted high water at springs (as it is at the weekend). Tide is very much the controlling factor rather than the outflow of the river, particularly once you get below the confluence with the Roach.

Burnham to Bradwell, it takes a little over 2 hrs to get to the Spitway, the stream in my experience turns a little after LW, but it' s not a huge issue, just keep your eyes on the transit between the Swin and Wallet buoys...

Burnham Bob

Visit site
Burnham Bradwell is always a choice. The long route is via the Swin and that means timing your arrival there as the tide changes to sweep you back to Bradwell (ish!).

Alternatively the Ray Sand channel is a shorter route. You time your arrival there at half tide flood (I use Holliwell Point as the closest tide point) or half ebb tide. Flood is safer but means fighting your way out of the Crouch. We draw 1.4 metres so assuming the Ray Sand dries at 1.4 I use a 3 metre depth on the tidal curve as a window.

Further complication is the creek at Bradwell. Useful chartlets for the Swin and the Ray Sand on Crossing the Thames Estuary. Must admit on a simple delivery/get home trip I'd motor against the flood tide and use the Ray Sand.

MoodySabre

Visit site
Punch the tide, hop across the Raysand. Bradwell creek will be OK for 3.5 hrs after HW. A chartlet is on Crossing the Thames Estuary downloads. Last time I did it in 4hrs 10mins for 19nm BYH to Bradwell.

If you want a long sail then aim for the Spitway nearer LW.

andyo

Visit site
Many thanks for all the comments - very useful to us. This was our first venture out of the Blackwater and we enjoyed the longer route to Burnham - will probably return that way this time - especially if there is some sun to soak up !!!