Brydon Marine Toilet

nevster

Visit site
Boat is fitted with one of above toilets (model unknown) and which ever variation of lever position I use will not flush fill, empty in fact it wont do anything. Does anyone know where I could try and source a manual/operators handbook just to check I'm not doing something stupid, before I start stripping it down.

Regards

Mark

<hr width=100% size=1>

cliff

Visit site
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.alohaowners.com/pages/manuals/files/BrydonManual.pdf> This might help - see page 2 </A>

<hr width=100% size=1>
hammer.thumb.gif
Stay put when I hit you!

HeadMistress

Visit site
The Brydon Boy was a Canadian version of the Jabsco manual 29020, made under a licensing agreement...it was discontinued nearly 20 years ago. Until a couple of years ago, Jabsco still offered a service kit for it, but that has now disappeared from their website, so I'm assuming they've finally discontinued it. Check with Jabsco to be sure.

However, even you can still get a kit, I doubt it will solve your problem because from your description it sounds like the wet/dry valve (part #s 18-20 on the drawing) or the intake valve seal has failed or broken..and none of those parts are in the kit. Unfortunately, nothing BUT the kit has been available for at least 10 years...nor will the current Jabsco wet/valve assembly fit the Brydon Boy.

So I hate to be the one to break it to you, but I'm afraid it's time for a new toilet.

<hr width=100% size=1>Peggie Hall
Specializing in marine sanitation since 1987

kilkerr1

homepage.ntlworld.com
Had one in my Kingfisher 20+. Was giving us a lot of jip, thought about repair, found out that it would have cost about as much as a new bog. Bought new compact Jabsco manual and it's currently my favourite bit of the boat. OK, slight exaggeration, but for £104 and half an hour's work it was worth every penny/minute.

Just get a new one.

<hr width=100% size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://kilkerr.members.easyspace.com/santateresa_pics.htm>Santa Teresa and other t'ings</A>

cliff

Visit site
This is probably a stupid question and I am a little embarrassed to ask but, are you sure the sea cocks are open? and the inlet hose is not blocked? That would stop the pump drawing in "flush" water. Second possibility is the piston head and seal (parts 12 & 13 on the diagram) have come off the piston rod - used to be a regular occurrence an a friends boat 'til I gave him a lock nut.

<hr width=100% size=1>
hammer.thumb.gif
Stay put when I hit you!

HeadMistress

Visit site
Making sure that seacocks are open isn't a stupid idea at all...we've all fallen victim to "ohhhh...DUH!" more often than any of us like to admit.

However, in a 25 year old toilet that's prob'ly never had ANY attention , it's unlikely that there's still enough left of any seals or o-rings to salvage...if they've worked their way off, it's more likely due to disintegrating than the absence of any lock nut.

Unfortunately, they cannot be replaced any more. I made a couple of phone calls after leaving here yesterday...and confirmed that the kit for the Brydon Boy is no longer available. So it's definitely time for a new toilet. The only question is whether to go cheap for one that will only last a few trouble-free years, or spend a bit more for a good toilet that will last as long as the Brydon.

jkim1

Visit site
Hang on there, yes I agree with buying a new one as the bits are a ridiculous price. But why not take the thing apart and see if you can buy the O rings and seals from a industrial supplier. If you can find out the size of the seals try Mc Master Carr in the states, they supply seals by size. Its all a big con that chandlers say you cannot get bits, you can if you try they just dont want to bothered. Its much the same with A4 stainless, its only 10% dearer than A2 but nearly all chandlers sell A2 because theres more money in it for them.

<hr width=100% size=1>

HeadMistress

Visit site
The problem with doing that in an old marine toilet--especially one that has has plastic pump cylinder--is that the inside of the cylinder is also badly worn, scratched and scored...even slightly out round because humans, not precise machines, are doing the pumping. So while scavanging for new o-rings and seals might get it working again, the likelihood of it working anywhere near efficiently again is next to nil. And if after all that effort and some expense, even minimal, new rubber bits don't solve the problem--it's a piece of hardware (wet/dry valve for instance)--you've accomplished nothing.

Everything has a lifespan...and 25 years is longer than any toilet made today that costs less than $500-$1000 lasts. It's time to give it a proper burial and replace it!

nevster

Visit site
Cliff dont feel embarrassed about asking it was first thing I checked and got someone to double check. Not sure if pipe is blocked that will need checking, although looking at advice given so far I think buying a new toilet is going to be the way forward. At least I know what to ask for on Fathers Day!

Regards

Mark

<hr width=100% size=1>

nevster

Visit site
Peggie

Thank you for advice and for all your help in trying to locate spare parts. Your right toilet is in twenty year old boat that I bought 6 months ago, previous owner said he never used it so I would guess that no maintenance has been carried out in last 5 years if at all. Will now look into sourcing and fitting replacement. Once again thanks to all for help.

Regards

Mark

<hr width=100% size=1>