Brownsea & Furzy Islands Poole

tome

www.google.co.uk
Jimi

There's a small wooden jetty on the SW side of Brownsea where I've landed before. The islands quite interesting with lots of brown squirrels and peacocks, Baden Powells campsite, and some WW2 bomb craters. There's a ferry landing at the E end but we were chased away from there. Don't know about Furzey - I've been there but at the time we were doing a seismic survey of the harbour and so had 'dispensation'.

Regards
Tom

<hr width=100% size=1>

Twister_Ken

'ang on a mo, I'll just take some bearings
Visit site
Brownsea open, Furzey closed

Brownsea, you can land, but flash your National Rust card or be preapred to stump up the admission fee.

Furzey closed becasue they don't want you blowing up their oil well.

<hr width=100% size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.writeforweb.com/twister1>Let's Twist Again</A>

BarryH

Visit site
For a bunch of raggies your not doing that well are you! Yes you can land on Brownsea. Only on the southern side from Pottery pier to a point just before then eastern end. The landing fee is to be dropped into the little pillar type collection boxes. Nice Island where you can see among other things endangered species like the Red Squirell. Also see the many Peacocks that roam the island freely along with the little sika deer. Best approached in a keelboat from the eastern end, watch out for the shingle bank, marked with a cardinal mark, as you enter Poole through Haven entrance. Loads of yachts overnight there. the holding is mianly mud but its a good protected anchorage.

Furzey Island is a no no. Its now used for oil extraction. Green Island is also private. Theres also Long Island (I think) that you can land on. Its the one where the kids normally camp out over night. If your going that way.Theres also Arne. Which is another of my favorite spots. You can pick up cockles from the shore and theres a nature reserve that stretches for miles.

<hr width=100% size=1>
captain.gif

Bejasus

Visit site
Small world Colin, I used to go to Furzy on the oil wells too with Big Red. Late 80's.

<hr width=100% size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.arweb.co.uk/argallery/h00>http://www.arweb.co.uk/argallery/h00</A>

GeorgeP

Visit site
BarryH is right about Brownsea. It is owned by the National Trust. On the Poole Harbour chart I have, it shows the area on the north and east where you are not allowed to land. As you come into Poole Harbour, you will see the jetties for the ferries and for the John Lewis castle on the island. There is a private beach in front of this. As you go round the south, you will see a fence going down to the shore. You can land after this. That part of Poole Harbour is called something like Blood Alley Lake. You will need to follow the red stakes closely if you are not to run aground. As you go along, it gets shallower, and you won't make it to Pottery Pier on the west side unless you have a shallow draft boat or a very high tide. Boats anchor along the south shore, which is very popular. There is a deep patch near Pottery Pier, which is even more popular. Personally I prefer the south side because it is quieter and I can't see the docks. Speed limit in the harbour is generally 10 knots, and only 6 knots on the south side (including south of Brownsea).

If you want more water to go to Pottery Pier, then take the route round the north. There is a mud bank between the main shipping channel and the shore. However, you will see yacht moorings closer to Brownsea and small boats can go that way. It is marked with stakes. There is a fuel barge at the entrance to this route.

As also pointed out earlier, you can land for free if you have a National Trust card. There are also honesty boxes. I forget the price, but it is only a few pounds. Well worth it in my view.

The other four main islands are all private and landing is only allowed with prior permission. However, lots of people land on the beach on Long Island. My club has an annual barbeque there for the youth section. I know they contact someone but don't recall who.

There are good anchorages near Goathorn and Arne, on both of which you can land and are worth a walk. There is a bird hide on Arne. However the anchorages again are popular and get crowded on weekends in the summer. Sometimes the boats are so close they bump when the tide turns, so you might want to be on board then.

I'd also recommend Wareham. You can make it to the town at springs if your boat draws less than 1.5 metres, 1 metre at neaps. Your boat will need to be able to take the ground if you want to stay for low water. There is a stand at high water of 2-3 hours. Alternatively you can moor at Redcliffe and walk the last half mile or so.

That's long enough and I think I'd better end there! Please PM if you want more...

<hr width=100% size=1>