Broken Navtex aerial

sarabande

Visit site
A loose mainsheet end ate the Navtex aerial yesterday. Grrr!

s6RUbOH.jpg
[/IMG]

I have a suspicion that Suoerglue will not be strong enough, nor even possibly the new Gorilla adhesives. A new unit is £25.

Does anyone know the type of plastic used please ? I have a thermostatic heat gun and would like to try welding and reinforcing the support before lashing out on a new one. Or if anyone has an old clamp lurking in a shed....

Egbod

Visit site
I have seen the same problem. We cleaned up the rough edges, attached a piece of plywood to the pushpit and fixed the aerial to the plywood with two plastic tool clips. If someone gets hold of the aerial it doesn't feel very strong so people let go of it or if they hold onto it it just unclips and can be refitted into the clips.

Daverw

Visit site
I would have a go with hot knife and weld/ melt the plastic, often works better than expected, or try some solvent glue

coveman

Visit site
Could you not reposition the aerial in the cabin to prevent another mishap? My Navtex aerial lives inside the cabin but functions perfectly. Just beware that interference can result from a location close to alternators, coils, strip lights and inverters

Gwylan

Visit site
How tall is your mast.

For the last 10 years we have used the mast as the aerial. Connect the centre wire to the mast - below deck loosen off a fixing nut and stuff the wire under a washer or something. Tighten everything up.

Connect the outer sheath to an earthed point somewhere.

Switch on and wait.... takes the 24 hours cycle for all the messages to arrive.

Elemental

Visit site
How tall is your mast.

For the last 10 years we have used the mast as the aerial. Connect the centre wire to the mast - below deck loosen off a fixing nut and stuff the wire under a washer or something. Tighten everything up.

Connect the outer sheath to an earthed point somewhere.

Switch on and wait.... takes the 24 hours cycle for all the messages to arrive.

A while ago I was wondered about the same thing (well, I was considering connecting to the backstay -effectively the same thing). I was concerned about inducing corrosion as I believe that the Nasa antenna is powered by the device..... There was no consensus on the matter on these forums so didn't - a new antenna was cheap enough and I now just leave it lying behind the instrument panel and it seems to get sufficient signal.