British Virgin Isles Chartering

Mad Pad

Visit site
I'm thinking of chartering in the BVI next March
Anyone been there recently(recovered from hurricane),what's the cruising like and has anyone chartered from Moorings?
Any comments appreciated,
Thanks,
Mad Pad

TQA

sailingonelephantschild.blogspot.com
About 80% recovered all major yacht services up and running. There is even a new Willy T.

Great easy cruising with plenty mooring balls available in the popular anchorages.

Moorings are a top tier charter operation with recent boats that will be clean and well maintained. They also have a flying squad of boat fixers if there is a problem. If you can time it for the full moon try and get to Trellis Bay fro the legendary full moon party.

KellysEye

www.kellyseye.net
Use www.latesail.com when chartering they are the world's largest discounted yacht charter company with 700 companies and around 7,000 boats. It is still a buyer's market so make an offer but not over 20%. The Moorings is the most expensive company thus are not signed up to LateSail.

www.jamesmarinero.com
About 80% recovered all major yacht services up and running. There is even a new Willy T.

Great easy cruising with plenty mooring balls available in the popular anchorages.

Moorings are a top tier charter operation with recent boats that will be clean and well maintained. They also have a flying squad of boat fixers if there is a problem. If you can time it for the full moon try and get to Trellis Bay fro the legendary full moon party.

+1

I was there in Tortola (Soper's Hole) in April. Trashed, had to carry water and fuel in cans/taxi. Wifi in Pussers Bar was ok. Taxi/Long walk to minimarket altho most supplies available. Didn't used mooring balls but hauled up a tree in Norman Island and a 4x4 radiator grille in Soper's Hole. So, trip line recommended. Just do it!

Jeannius

Visit site
I'm thinking of chartering in the BVI next March
Anyone been there recently(recovered from hurricane),what's the cruising like and has anyone chartered from Moorings?
Any comments appreciated,
Thanks,
Mad Pad
The cruising is wonderful if what you want is mainly short distances between snorkel stops and beach bars. If you are serious sailors it can be a little boring, in my humble opinion. I had my boat in charter with TMM ( http://www.sailtmm.com/ ) for several years before running her as crewed charter around the BVI for a couple of years. Moorings are very popular as a charter company but Sunsail are usually cheaper for Brits and the boats are similar. If you want something with a bit more personal service then try TMM or one of the other smaller companies.

If you decide to go I can tell you about some of the quieter, places around the BVI. There are a few hidden gems away from the main locations chosen by charterers.

Debenair

Visit site
I was there in late January and the place was pretty well trashed. Only two places to get water (Roadtown and Spanish town on VG), and noticeable that facilities with access to foreign capital, like the charter companies and larger bars/ restaurants were just up and running, but the locals were still in bits.
The place was pretty empty, but we still had a grand time, The supermarket round the corner from Sunsail/Moorings base was fully stocked with high quality goods, which lasted well- we Ate aboard 6’ nights out of 9.
The weather was warm but wetter and windier than in previous visits. We had a number of days with winds 25/30 kts, but our Sunsail 41 ( Jeanneau 405) was a slightly undercanvassed brick outhouse, and we coped fine with a relatively inexperienced crew.