...by Wales

Today in the City Docks

flags006.jpg

flags002.jpg

Was this you?
Great to see The Flag flying over here!

graham

Visit site
"Never seen a narrow boat with roller reefing and radar fitted before. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

It could be the annual invasion of Barry YC members supported by some from CBYC They usually go about this time of year. Probably would have joined them if I hadnt been working. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Sneds

Visit site
Just read your blog/website, fantastic!
Interested in the Porlock Wier bit, I understand the harbour drys out, but on neaps, would I be able to stay afloat in "the pool outside" I have read about?

graham

Visit site
Thanks for the comment about the blog.

Theres about 4 foot of water in the pool in both neaps and springs. The water is kept back by the pebble bank as the tide ebbs. I dont think I have ever seen a visiting motorboat but theres no reason why not.

You will need a dinghy to get ashore and wellys are handy as the steps can be muddy.I usually take clean shoes ashore in a plastic bag then put the muddy boats in it until I can wash them. Theres a pub with bar meals and a restaraunt/hotel close by and shops in Porlock Village a 20 minute walk.

wotayottie

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Just read your blog/website, fantastic!
Interested in the Porlock Wier bit, I understand the harbour drys out, but on neaps, would I be able to stay afloat in "the pool outside" I have read about?

[/ QUOTE ]

There are lots of other speedboats in the drying area behind the bridge. The pool is used primarily for fin keelers who fall over when dried out.

graham

Visit site
I should have mentioned that.If you can dry out theres acres of space in the old dock area to dry out. may need to get in early on the tide to go under the bridge as they dont open it often these days.

LizzyD

Visit site
Those pictures weren't the crew of the good ship Lizzy D. This weekend we went to a very expensive work related function in Cardiff. I didn't want to go but had a good time after all. Funny how that happens.

I'm having alternator trouble at the moment and need to get a part for it, but when it's done. I'll be de-winterising the boat. I miss going out on it too much. Those Bristol photos look as though the weather is crisp and cold, but great for sailing.

I have a Welsh flag on my boat, but it's only up just for a bit of fun and to try and impress our English friends by letting them know we've crossed the channel!

Damo - you can stop hiding now!

Take care all.

Lizzy D

Sneds

Visit site
Thanks for the Porlock info, looking forward to visiting there next summer.
I would rather stay afloat as mud plays havoc with the cooling water intake on outdrives, guess I'll have to pick my spot carefully as I don't fancy a falling fin keler landing on me! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

damo

longkeel35.org.uk
It would be more impressive if an English courtesy flag was flown /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I flew a very large St Georges Cross during the world cup, and got several lots of foul-mouthed abuse when I visited Cardiff Bay /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

solitaire11

Visit site
hi sneds, ive stopped in the pool at porlock a few times with loads of depth(33' mobo ) , also dried in the harbour bit, but the mud isn't that soft, we deployed the sealegs wich was a wise decision or we'd have been at 45 degrees. but definately worth a visit, a beautiful place, just be sure to phone harbour master beforehand to make sure there's room in the pool /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Icelander18

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
"Never seen a narrow boat with roller reefing and radar fitted before. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

It could be the annual invasion of Barry YC members supported by some from CBYC They usually go about this time of year. Probably would have joined them if I hadnt been working. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, I admit - I was one of them -Ha!

We had a good few boats up with a few from Swansea as well 12 in all if I remember, well there was a bit of your good alcoholic fare consumed!!

Hope the flag didn't upset you too much it was only a bit of fun ofcourse..

bluedragon

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I thought Bristol was in England... so why a Welsh courtesy flag?? [runs for cover]

[/ QUOTE ]

Just reclaiming the ancient lands of King Arthur from the Anglo Saxon and Norman invaders /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Can't see whether these are on the port or starboard flag halyards...if to port the Red Dragon can be left flying even in England (though I've often wondered if I should fly the English cross of St.George to port when in Watchet? Whoops...should have said starboard)

Icelander18

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I thought Bristol was in England... so why a Welsh courtesy flag?? [runs for cover]

[/ QUOTE ]

Just reclaiming the ancient lands of King Arthur from the Anglo Saxon and Norman invaders /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Can't see whether these are on the port or starboard flag halyards...if to port the Red Dragon can be left flying even in England (though I've often wondered if I should fly the English cross of St.George to port when in Watchet?)

[/ QUOTE ]

Your ok, it was actually on the port at the time /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif