Bristol channel in a speed boat

Garymcduff1

Visit site
I'm looking to take my 18ft speedboat out from Cardiff Bay and into the bristol channel and am after some advise, how do I contact the Harbour master correctly and what precautions do I need to take whilst out there. Any help and advise would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

tonyone01

Visit site
The best advise I can give is that you take some training before venturing out past the barrage. If you take your PB2 with one of the training schools in the bay they will take you through the locking procedure including how to call the barrage on ch18. They will also take you out into the Bristol Channel and teach you how to be safe. You really need to understand the tides and of course weather.

Pigpen

Visit site
Gary
Before we can offer advice we need more info.
Where do you keep/launch your boat? Where do you live?
What boating experience do you have?
There are two major clubs in Cardiff Bay - Cardiff Yacht Club (at the entrance
to the R Taff) and Cardiff Bay Yacht Club (at the entrance to the R Ely)
Google them and see what courses they run and when. Both clubs have
members on this forum. They are set up in slightly different ways.
Cardiff YC is a mutual club, that is to say the members do most, if not
all of the work. Cardiff Bay YC is run as a marina with permanent, very
experienced, yard, admin and catering staff. Cardiff YC is less expensive.
As well as "Boatmanship" you might also consider a Short Range Certificate
which will allow you to operate a VHF Maritime Mobile transceiver.

Doug Pingel Sy Jekeeda 2 Cardiff Bay YC

Lioness

Visit site
The precautions I would suggest for a trip into the Bristol Channel from Cardiff Bay in a 18 ft Speedboat in no particular order are -:
Good weather forecast with winds of no more than F3
Charts
Tide times/heights & tidal curve(s)
A Passage plan
Passage timings given to someone ashore
Lifejackets for all aboard
VHF & knowlege of VTS/BarrageControl/CC/MAYDAY/PANPAN frequencies and use.
mobile phone
Indate Flares
Reliable engine plus a wing engine
Bailers/bilge pumps
Anchor
Fire extinguishers
First aid kit including sea sickness remedy
Spare clean fuel
Food and water
Tool kit and essential engine spares/consumables
Extra appropriate clothing for the time of year/weather
Working horn/fog horn
Working nav/anchor lights
Radar Reflector
Torch
Compass
Some knowledge of COLREGS
Some knowledge of Navigation & Buoys
MOB recovery kit/plan

78 Bravo

Visit site
Particularly at this time of year, when considering weather, daylight hours, and tides etc., there will be obvious benefits to carefully planning your excursion. There are three main aspects to your query, which I intend to answer:

1) Competency and safety, for you, passangers, and others. I would agree with the above suggestions concerning any courses / ensuring competency, and would suggest that a course is the fastest, easiest, and most pleasant way to cover the bases. Agreed with the VHFcourse. You might already have this, so I do not intend to discuss this aspect in further detail and would revert to the previous answers.

2) Barrage procedure. The procedure for the barrage is quite straightforward, although I would emphasise again learning the procedure thoroughly (radio comms, light signals...). Using the appropriate procedure, call the harbour master on Ch18, requesting a lock out. Information, time of lock (on the hour, and half past the hour) and permission will be granted. Try to be sensible concerning the other vessels queuing / waiting. Enter the lock and tie-up to the pontoon / adjacent vessel (you will need your fenders). Turn your engine off. Once the lock is complete, start your engine, untie, exit slowly. (The procedure is the same for the lock-in, at quarter past, and quarter to the hour). Note: when waiting for the lock, try to avoid impeding the exit of vessels leaving the lock, stay to the side.

3) Channel navigation. This is where the course (in point 1) will come into its own. From a learning perspective, it is likely easier to learn the channel on a low tide (you can see the banks), although naturally the margin for error is a bit lower (you could drive into the bank). Watch for bigger-than-you vessels going to the port - they are not able to get out of your way, so make sure you get out of theirs. Also, make sure you have a chart of the area, it will help! Time your voyage well to avoid the worst of the tides, but don't forget that it will pick up again!

single

Visit site
I used to take my Phantom 18 out of Cardiff and went as far as Portishead,Watchet and Minehead. Apart from the obvious kit and knowledge, i always took the spare outboard. I never needed it but........
Just choose the weather. Unless its forecast smooth, there's no point in a speedboat. The current doesn't make much difference at 50knts but wind over tide can change the sea state very quickly so be aware.

B4NXA

Visit site
Hi
I have a 19ft speedboat in Cardiff bay, which I have had for a year now.
I have PBL2, VHF licence and all the safety kit. I ventured out quite a few times at the end of last year through the barrage into the channel.
I am probably not going to get chance to use the boat again until April/May, but if you fancy a bit of company and safety in numbers let me know I can get out most evenings if the weather is good.
Cheers

Saf

Visit site
Hello garymcduff1 and b4nxa I realise this is an old post but wondering if you guys are still. Around. I have an 18ft fletcher cruisette and had. Pb2 training and covered mat of the advice given eg spare engine, etc etc and looking for some company for first ou

Saf

Visit site
Outings into the Bristol Channel and figuring out how far it is possible to go - oven fuel requirements and tides etc - both towards minehead etc and also west - eg porthcawl etc I’m trying to get a mooring but boat is behind my house on trailer at the moment in Cardiff. It will be ready to go by say February so if you are around would appreciate some company on trip out and advice .
Cheers
Saf

Panini

Visit site
Outings into the Bristol Channel and figuring out how far it is possible to go - oven fuel requirements and tides etc - both towards minehead etc and also west - eg porthcawl etc I’m trying to get a mooring but boat is behind my house on trailer at the moment in Cardiff. It will be ready to go by say February so if you are around would appreciate some company on trip out and advice .
Cheers
Saf

Hey Saf, my partner and I are restoring our 16ft Invader and will be finishing around February. Happy to meet up for a channel adventure early next year. I've sailed a lot on the Bristol channel (Cardiff -Watched / Portishead / Minehead) but this is my first time with a powerboat, would be good to meet some fellow powerboaters on the channel!

Panini

Visit site
Hi
Great - that would be fantastic. Are you in Cardiff?
S

Yes we're basing in Cardiff, we're going to be storing the boat at home and will launch at the Channel View slipway (hoping we can buy / rent a key from the Council so we won't always have to get it from the leisure centre). Are you planning to keep your boat in the water or are you trailering as well?

We haven't finished getting her seaworthy yet (finishing the new floor this weekend and engine rebuild starting next week) but will likely be pootling around the bay to run-in the engine in Jan/Feb, then good to go for out-of-bay travels. Certainly feel more confident to be going out as a group! I'll send a DM closer to Jan and we can hopefully meet you for a motor round the bay

Saf

Visit site
Hi
Ok . Planning to put in water but considering options. Will also be looking pottering and launching from there .
How does this pm work - only we can see? As thought to share my number/direct email address but don’t want the whole world to see those! Mine is more cosmetic at the moment but I can show you some pics etc