Bridge heights

byron

RIP
Visit site
Bear in mind the bridge heights are only a good guide, they are inaccurate and haven't been re-checked for over a quarter of a century so use them but be aware.

Woodlouse

Visit site
Surely the bridge hights when measured would be taken with the water at it's absolute highest, and hence the bridge at it's absolute lowest. So unless the river is flooding, in which case you shouldn't be trying to navigate it anyway, then you'll be able to get under the bridge if your air draft is less than whats written down.

byron

RIP
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Surely the bridge hights when measured would be taken with the water at it's absolute highest, and hence the bridge at it's absolute lowest. So unless the river is flooding, in which case you shouldn't be trying to navigate it anyway, then you'll be able to get under the bridge if your air draft is less than whats written down.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is my understanding that bridge heights were taken at mean winter levels. As a matter of interest why wouldn't one be using the river when it is in flood? I find it easier because everything one does is 'tide' assisted. One uses the flow to one's advantage. Maybe you have opened a can of worms here, do others find a strong flow an advantage or a disadvantage? Am I alone in liking a good strong stream when doing things like mooring up. The only time I dislike it is when travelling upstream /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

trev

Visit site
Are we talking about tidal or non tidal ?-The bridge heights on the non tidal section are a mean level,and any 'head' on the river will be advised by the lock keepers. The tidal section is given for HW springs and can be regarded as least height for most passages.

Woodlouse

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

It is my understanding that bridge heights were taken at mean winter levels. As a matter of interest why wouldn't one be using the river when it is in flood? I find it easier because everything one does is 'tide' assisted. One uses the flow to one's advantage. Maybe you have opened a can of worms here, do others find a strong flow an advantage or a disadvantage? Am I alone in liking a good strong stream when doing things like mooring up. The only time I dislike it is when travelling upstream /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Sorry. By flooding I didn't mean the tide coming in. I meant an extreme volume of water either going up or down the river threatening to burst its banks, the sort of thing the Thames barrier was built to stop.

ms1

Visit site
if this is for your Sunfury I would have thought the only worry would be Osney Bridge at Oxford (7ft 6ins) assuming you normally take your antenna down for anything that looks suspect.