Brest Festival of the sea and Douarnenez Festival

PhillM

Visit site
Thinking ahead, next one is in 2016. Anyone been? Would it make a nice family holiday? Comments, thoughts please.

Ru88ell

Visit site
I'd like to go, but I won't be doing it as a Scuttlebutt trip. I should be able to get there from Falmouth.

PhillM

Visit site
I'd like to go, but I won't be doing it as a Scuttlebutt trip. I should be able to get there from Falmouth.

Funny you should mention that, you'll never guess to where we are heading next week!

Finally got round the island in this years race. 1/2 under sail but ended up on motor form St Cats point when we had got to the time when we could not have sailed in the allowed time. But we did complete the course.

Now the refit is finally over and I consider Paean to be fully sea worthy our horizons are expanding. Next year I plan a x channel, hence the idea of Brest 2016.

Woodlouse

Visit site
Thinking ahead, next one is in 2016. Anyone been? Would it make a nice family holiday? Comments, thoughts please.

It's great fun. As a family it might be a bit much to spend the whole two weeks doing the festivals but you can cruise in and out quite easily. Brest is one hell of a spectacle and Douarnenez is a great festival, rather like an after party.

philiphurst

Visit site
I've often thought about going but have been put off by the distance from the Blackwater. A friend of mine went once and it took him five weeks.

Sounds extravagant but I'm thinking of having Cirrus taken to Brest by road and I'll then sail her back from Douarnenez. Once the costs of en route marinas and lost earnings are taken into account this has a chance of making sense. More so when 50% of the weather lottery is eliminated.

jerrytug

N/A
Visit site
Brest is astounding, there are so many astonishing vessels open to visit, including operational French navy ones as well as wooden types, so much to see.
There are cheap flights to the nearby airport as well,only a few quid if you book well in advance!

Ru88ell

Visit site
Don't forget the Gulf of Morbihan week, coming up soon.

http://www.semainedugolfe.com/Home-1074-0-0-0.html

I did 2013 with my Cape Cutter 19. It was quite early that year and the weather wasn't that good. I enjoyed it, but the facilities were very poor when staying afloat so won't be rushing back. Vannes was superb though; I'd certainly look to go back to Morbihan but not necessarily to the event.