Braye harbour wall

lustyd

Visit site
Does anyone know what they’re doing to Braye harbour wall? Every trip I’ve visited for about ten years there is a small team who come out in the morning and use various power tools on the wall but nothing ever seems to change and they do it every day for a few hours.

smert

Visit site
Repairs - mainly on the outside. The harbour wall is essentially floating in places and is constantly flexing so needs repointing. Part of the remedial works is rebuilding the foundations. The large lumps of concrete that were stored at the western end are getting dropped in underneath and to seaward.

johnalison

Visit site
As far as I know, Braye mole has been under continuous repair pretty well since it was built. I would have thought that a good dose of tetrapods dumped on the seaward side would hold the fort for quite a time, even if they don't look very handsome.

lustyd

Visit site
Thanks makes sense must have been pointing work. From the boat it looks like 3 guys turn up at 8am and drill random holes for two hours then go home and it happens every day I’ve ever been there with no apparent progress towards anything :)

WoodyP

Visit site
Just watched The Eagle has Landed. Braye Harbour bears an uncanny resemblance to Castleton, and not at all how l remember it 😁

wonkywinch

Visit site
Interesting to see how the boats are laying in the picture. Tide on the turn?
Yes, it was interesting how the eddy currents around the harbour turned boats at different times until everyone settled in the same direction.

The HM did mention to allow plenty of swinging room so we kept our bridle short.

lustyd

Visit site
Several boats touched while we were there, with one motor boat lying alongside a yacht despite being on a different mooring. No damage but quite alarming to see!