Brass!

chas

I have some nice old brass light fittings that I would like to use. They polish up well but I do not want to have to polish them every few weeks! Has anyone tried spray varnish? Can anyone recommend the best answer to give me permanent brilliance? Any ideas would be welcome.
Thanks in advance

Talbot

I use spray laquer as supplied for vauxhall metalic finish cars. This is not a permanent solution but should last at least a couple of seasons, then use paint remover to clean up and re-do.

tugboat

Pop into your local hardware store - they should have a tin of lacquer specially made for the job. I got some a few months ago for my clock and barometer set.

capel679

i was once a clock restorer and the problem of the "brass" often came up.many carrage clocks were made of brass cases and given a laquered finish to preserve the metal.
others would remove the laquer to leave the "brass" to the elements.
this obviously left the metal in a "dull" finish but it was felt a natural state.
a decent brass is best left alone to "mature", like wood. but the laquer effect does have its fans.
sorry to sound as if sitting on the fence but there are sound reasons both ways.

LORDNELSON

Try a search on the pbo articles. There was one a few months ago about re-furbishing brass lights. I think the author recommended polishing and then spraying with lacquer.

Gordonmc

An alternative would be vaseline if you don't have to handle the items. Just a thin smear of warmed vaseline has stopped my compass cover from going off for a whole season. Portlight rings which were varnished, however, have gone green around each screw.

JohnHaine

Saltwater and brass don't mix well, so I suggest that if you are using the lights on a boat then you don't take the "natural effect" approach.

John.

richardandtracy

I've used "Spectra Clear" on brass & copper both at home (victorian with lots of brass) and on the boat. The brass on the boat starts to go dull after a year or so, while it's about 5-6 years on land. Then out with a SS scouring pad, polish & re-apply.

Regards

Richard.