Bought a boat in Crete, registration issues

Visit site
Hello everyone
I’m new here and new to the world of boats so would very much appreciate some advice.
Last year I bought a German registered boat that is moored in Crete. I am currently sorting out the mooring for this year and I’ve been asked for the boat registration in my name, I thought this would be a simple task but I wasn’t aware the previous owner had never changed the registration into his name so it is still registered with the owner before. As I mentioned the boat is currently German registered, I was hoping to register it with the SSR but it says I can’t if it’s already on a foreign register. I’m not sure how to get it deregistered as I have no contact with the ex owner. Also I believe to register with the SSR I need a survey of tonnage which I have no idea how to get with the boat being in Crete. So as you can see it’s all a bit messy and I’m not sure how or where to start with it all

KompetentKrew

Visit site
Also I believe to register with the SSR Part 1 I need a survey of tonnage which I have no idea how to get with the boat being in Crete.
SSR may be suitable for your needs (or may not) but there are Part 1 registered surveyors all over Europe, and ones which will fly out from the UK. The RYA has a list - I think I paid a couple of hundred quid.

Tranona

Visit site
Hello everyone
I’m new here and new to the world of boats so would very much appreciate some advice.
Last year I bought a German registered boat that is moored in Crete. I am currently sorting out the mooring for this year and I’ve been asked for the boat registration in my name, I thought this would be a simple task but I wasn’t aware the previous owner had never changed the registration into his name so it is still registered with the owner before. As I mentioned the boat is currently German registered, I was hoping to register it with the SSR but it says I can’t if it’s already on a foreign register. I’m not sure how to get it deregistered as I have no contact with the ex owner. Also I believe to register with the SSR I need a survey of tonnage which I have no idea how to get with the boat being in Crete. So as you can see it’s all a bit messy and I’m not sure how or where to start with it all
You can only use the Part 3 SSR if you are resident in the UK, and although it is intended for UK based boats they do not ask where the boat is located, nor about other registers. Application is on line. Part 1 is a register of title hence the more stringent requirement on proving your title and tonnage survey which among other things is required to confirm the boat exists and is what you say it is because charges such as loans and mortgages can be registered against the boat.

Irish Rover

Visit site
You only need a tonnage survey for Part 1, not SSR.

Personally, I would ignore the previos registration and just get an SSR.
@dressageprincess1983 The UK online registration [which I'm going through at the moment] can be a bit confusing and sometimes it's easy to confuse Part 1 and SSR rules and requirements. As stated by others, if you are a UK resident, then apply for SSR which has no tonnage survey requirement and no previous registration deletion proof requirement. Good luck.

AllWinds

Visit site
It's probably worth getting in touch with the last owner and asking him to contact the previous owner and get it taken off the German registry and get the certificate of deletion. It might not play a big role for you if you are just going to do Part III in the UK. But if you sell the boat in the future it might play a reasonably role in that sale. I'm currently in the market for a boat and missing history for the boat is making it not possible for me to get it on a title registry (similar to Part 1 in the UK) which basically makes the sale impossible.