Bostik 2402 for external saildrive flap....

Martin_J

Well-known member
Joined
19 Apr 2006
Messages
4,284
Location
Portsmouth, UK
Visit site
Keyparts sell Bostik 2402 (two part rubber adhesive) for glueing the external rubber flap to the hull.

I see others have used similar in the past and not always been successful.

Interestingly the datasheet for Bostik 2402 says that you need to use Bostik 9252 primer when glueing rubber to GRP or metal.

Did others use this primer first or just rely on cleaning and roughing up the grp?

.. and which worked and which didn't?

Many thanks in advance.
 

snowleopard

Active member
Joined
16 May 2001
Messages
33,652
Location
Oxford
Visit site
My suppliers recommended Sikaflex, not sure which one, maybe 291. It's a 1-part Polyurethane. After 11 years it is still firmly stuck despite regular pressure washing. I have to change the waterproof diaphragms soon and I guess i'll have to get it off with a chisel.
 

bigwow

Well-known member
Joined
26 Feb 2006
Messages
6,514
Visit site
Just used Evostick contact adhesive on both of mine, as far as I know they are still there, were last week anyway.
 

John_Clarke

New member
Joined
2 Jun 2001
Messages
274
Location
Cambridge
Visit site
Another vote for Evostick

I used non-drip Evostick contact adhesive about 7 years ago and it is still firmly in place. I carefully cleaned with acetone, sanded and cleaned again both surfaces before applying the adhesive.
 

johnphilip

Well-known member
Joined
15 Nov 2005
Messages
1,274
Visit site
well stuck

I was recommended a Bison two part adhesive which has so far lasted 5 years. Which particular one I do not remember, but if interested I could find the tube on the boat. It was French Marine who recommended it, they could probably tell you.
 

grafozz

Member
Joined
11 Jan 2004
Messages
785
Location
kefalonia ,greece
Visit site
P U sealant

I gave up with evo/bostik a long way back and use a good polyurethane sealant . each lift out would see the seals dropping off at the leading edge and corners, so I changed to pu sealant . I had to take them both off this year and it took some doing , but the proof of adhesion was there.
 
Top