Boot sale bargain.

burgundyben

box of 200 silicon bronze screws, 10 * 2 and another box of 200, 12 by inch an' half

Total?

£8

Woo woo!!

Just the right size for the job on the hull.

Kristal

Yes, how annoying is that. I'd love to go to a good boat sale or jumble or something.

I have ordered something a bit flamboyant, though, from Classic Marine - a brand new gunmetal boathook, with an 8-foot ash stave!! I am going to give it nine coats of varnish, and tie a nice Turk's Head halfway up it.

I broke the last boathook, which was looking decidedly rotten anyway, so this is my special Springtime treat to myself.

/<

Santana379

I understood 17 was the correct number of coats of varnish. With only 9 coats your boathook will get black bits and rot, and will look grotty - quite soon.

Seriously, isn't eight foot a tad long, even if you are trying to compensate for something? Mirelle has a nine foot one which, though I wouldn't tell him to his face, is most unwieldy. With Crystal's freeboard I would've thought six foot would be adequate. Sorry to put a damper on your treat, but I guess when you find it's too long, you can always cut it down! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Kristal

That's the plan, to snip it back to 6 or 7 feet. The remaining bit will make the most attractive roller for a toilet roll holder you've ever seen.

I don't know why I ordered an 8 foot one, to be honest, I got a bit carried away. But I am going to put a Turks Head on it...

Mirelle

N/A
Ten, actually

Close inspection of the coachroof will reveal the presence of a six foot job, assuming I have not left it in Piglet by oversight; the ten footer, with pointed end, is shoved up the shrouds and has two functions, viz

a. Lock walls, fending off from, and

b. as a sounding pole (it's marked with the draft, and in feet)

(I must get the five footer back from Cecilia!)

Christopher_B

My boathook may not be longer than yours, but I\'ve got two of them

Leda came equipped with two gunmetal boathooks, both about 8 foot, which is really a bit OTT for a 22 foot boat. Difficult to stow too. I think the extravagant length could be explained by the clutchless 4 hp outboard. If you're forced to use it, it either dies at idle just short of the mooring or whisks you past it while you poke the faulty stop button. But having two hints at desperation.

Santana379

Re: De-capitation

/<rystal - Lawrence of Arabia was a long time ago now, and you really should forgive the Turks - they're "delightful" (groan), are already in Eurovision, and will soon be in Europe proper. To put the head of a Turk on your new gunmetal boathook is downright unfriendly.

Gunfleet

hard to stow boathook

put a loop of cord at the bottom of a shroud and a bit of bungie with a loop and a ball some convenient height up the shroud, then store your boathook with the hook in the loop of cord and the stave held to the shroud by the bungie. I didn't invent it but learnt it in Holland.

Christopher_B

Re: hard to stow boathook

But the UV will ruin the beautiful varnish on the staves! I mean to say, these are objets d'art, not mere tools. And as for the increased windage...

No, no, you're right, that's the best solution I think. And shows them off nicely
/forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Kristal

Re: De-capitation

More than you know, FF - my current girlfriend is Turkish!!

She was absolutely fascinated by the name, and insisted on having a go on the remains of the last boathook (which gave me the idea). So duly we got out some twine - I was very chuffed that my first attempt worked out beautifully. Aylin's took about seven attempts, but she got there in the end!!

/<

PS: I am now insured and my humour has returned, apologies for the rantings in an earlier post.

Kristal

That's what we do, too - our hefty, and perpetually unused spinnaker pole (only used it once, as a quant in a failed attempt to shift us off the sticky stuff in Faversham Creek) also lives in the shrouds in this manner, although I was advised by Mirelle before I even bought Crystal that it's not the best idea. I returned it to the shrouds after tripping over it a few times - the curvy coachroof doesn't help it sit happily - and will be moving it to the garage as soon as I can borrow a long enough vehicle.

/<

trouville

N/A

Dont cut your boats hook! Just get a second one as well!

I have 2 one long one which is very very useful when i need it and a 5 foot one i use mostly very handy! But mine has only 5 coats of varnish???

I better do something about that! I try nine coats!