Book recommendation

misterg

Visit site
Not sure if this backwater of the forums is alive or not, but would recommend "Berserk in the Antarctic" (David Mercy). Apologies if this is well known, but I haven't seen reference to it before.

True story, written by a non-sailor, who accompanies a young Norweigan (Jarle Andhoey) to the antarctic ice in an Albin Vega.

Very well written (by professional(?) journalist). It had me on the edge of my seat right to the last page.

Andy (will read fiction once I've run out of true stories - hasn't happened yet)

Poignard

Visit site
Wasn't there a film on TV about that a couple of years ago? This mad Scandinavian singlehanded a small yacht to South America, picked up two inexperienced crewmen [one of whom became so depressed that he had to be offloaded onto a ship in the Antarctic]. Then he set off into the ice and eventually .......[edited out - just realised I'd given away the ending!]. Either incredibly brave or barking mad, depending on your point of view.

misterg

Visit site
Sounds like the same story. I've seen reference to a documentary using video shot by the skipper during the trip - maybe the same thing? I would love to see it.

Thought the skipper was barking mad, but he actually turned out to be pretty impressive. I'm surprised we haven't heard more of him.

Cracking good read, anyhow. The account of the storms is chilling.

Andy