Bolts, Spanners, Pliers - all in the bilge - How to stop it !

STATUE

Visit site
When working on or around the engine they all start heading for the almost inaccessible bilge directly below the engine.

I have used sheets, carrier bags etc., but still it happens.

Incompetent - well yes of course - but still, what's the best way to stop it ?

Mrnotming

Visit site
you can get a magnetic car aerial thingy fro tool shops. telescopic, at least the retrieval might be possible.
I've tied light line to some of my tools when working behind the loo bulkhead, because they skid to "no man's bilge"
perhaps roughened gloves such as gardiners wear with fabric backs?

Wansworth

Visit site
Even competent mechanics have days........ you need an array of magnets on strings one of those flexible gizmos that can grab small items.Keep a clean bilge and in some cases you can flush the object out as I did a small screws from the impellor plate

prv

Visit site
I have what's known as the "pickled onion grabber" - same thing as my parents had for reaching into jars, but about two feet longer. However, if you're regularly dropping things in there (understandable if it's right under the engine) then why not fit some plastic garden mesh covering the hole?

Pete

rotrax

Visit site
I know it is a bit simplistic, but whenever I am likely to drop something valuable, irreplaceable or an expensive tool where recovery might be a problem I tie a bit of string to it.........................................

rogerthebodger

Visit site
I know it is a bit simplistic, but whenever I am likely to drop something valuable, irreplaceable or an expensive tool where recovery might be a problem I tie a bit of string to it.........................................

That's what I do as magnets are no good with a steel hull. I started doing this when I was working inside my water tanks that are so deep I could not reach any tools with any king of grabber/magnet.

colind3782

Visit site

+1 Simple and inexpensive. As for the bolts and screws however, I have a selection of magnetic and "pickle grabber" type retrievers from working on aircraft.

PhillM

Visit site
However, if you're regularly dropping things in there (understandable if it's right under the engine) then why not fit some plastic garden mesh covering the hole?

Pete

Sainsbuys plastic bag and a bit of gaffer tape to keep it in place, usually catches screws etc. bags from other retailers will work just as well :)

RichardS

N/A
Visit site
I pop along to the cardboard recycling bin at the end of the pontoon and tear a piece of cardboard about 2 foot square. I then stuff this under the engine. Seems to stop most things vanishing into the GRP sump from where only a contortionist can retrieve them.

Richard

jonic

www.jryachts.com
You can't stop it.

It is operated and controlled by the law of the sod.

This is the same law which ensures all engine failures occur at critical moments and that your heating will fail to operate when it's really cold.

prv

Visit site
Sainsbuys plastic bag and a bit of gaffer tape to keep it in place, usually catches screws etc. bags from other retailers will work just as well :)

Fine as a temporary thing, but if you have a deep and inaccessible bilge, why not fit a permanent (well, removable for access) mesh guard? I always intended to do this on Kindred Spirit with her four-foot well under the cockpit, though I never got round to it before we sold her. In the meantime I carried one of those street-cleaner's litter-grabbing sticks :)

Pete

bbg

Visit site
When working on or around the engine they all start heading for the almost inaccessible bilge directly below the engine.

I have used sheets, carrier bags etc., but still it happens.

Incompetent - well yes of course - but still, what's the best way to stop it ?

I have an absolute, guaranteed, sure-fire solution - but you won't like it.

Sell the boat.