Bobbins.

doug748

Visit site
As I have my stern gear apart, I am thinking of adding a bobbin, one of these things:

808004_7.jpg
Courtesy ASAP

To the the output of my gearbox in order to shorten the propshaft. This is so I can be sure to have the clearance to remove the gearbox, should this be necessary, whilst afloat.

Before I take a hacksaw to the propshaft are there any downsides / things to look out for? Thanks.

Plum

Visit site
As I have my stern gear apart, I am thinking of adding a bobbin, one of these things:

View attachment 75708
Courtesy ASAP

To the the output of my gearbox in order to shorten the propshaft. This is so I can be sure to have the clearance to remove the gearbox, should this be necessary, whilst afloat.

Before I take a hacksaw to the propshaft are there any downsides / things to look out for? Thanks.

As long as the other side has a male locator. Does your shaft not slide aft enough, even after removing the rudder?

Www.solocoastalsailing.co.uk

rogerthebodger

Visit site

View attachment 75708
Courtesy ASAP

Unless you can move the shaft aft you will not be able to remove this bobbin due to the location recesses will prevent the removal of the bobbin.

Do you have a flexible coupling I have a bullflex coupling that allows the removal of my gearbox without moving the propshaft as I have a PSS seal that will not allow the propshaft to move aft

doug748

Visit site
I have an existing Centaflex coupling which I was planning to refit aft of the bobbin (and also a PSS seal, btw ).

Having no idea how much clearance I need to remove the gearbox, 50 quid seems a reasonable investment to almost guarantee to be able to get it out with ease, whilst still in the water.

Of course the gearbox is ok now but I don't want to be losing large chunks of my season if it does have a wobbler. It is a Technodrive and at a funny age.

If there are no serious drawbacks to the scheme, I will probably do it.