Boaty,[and a few merely sandy], books

Headbone

Visit site
And here are a few more:

Stargazing: memoirs of a young lighthouse keeper, by Peter Hill. Almost dry apart from the spray.

Anything by Bill Tilman, of course, that great culler of Bristol Channel pilot cutters. Astonishing bloke. Completely bonkers, naturally.

On the mahogany trail. Not even sandy, but required reading for those who like wood. This chap spent decades wandering the rain forests of West Africa, surveying for various logging companies. Great man, who really knows what he is talking about. Not a bad accompaniment to Conrad's 'Heart of Darkness'

'Voyage by dhow: and other pieces ' by Norman Lewis. Usually rated the doyen of travel writers. Might even be less than doyen and more dead by now. Very good writer, apart from the content.

Frank Mulville. I read his 'Single-handed sailing', and thought it deeply boring, but his cruising stories like 'Dear Dolphin' have a definite magic.

'Longshoreman: a life at the water's edge' by Richard Shelton.
This starts off promising fascination, and delivers for some good while. The last wodge drones on and on.

Headbone

Visit site
Sorry, I should have checked my scribble - 'Stargazing' and 'On the Mahogany trail' are both book titles.

Another - 'Channel crossing', by a chap whose name escapes me. Gentle story about a non-sailor who buys a 'Wayfarer' dinghy, learns to sail, and in it crosses the Channel and back.