boating bash

oldgit

Visit site
First proper trip in boat went up the Medway to Yalding over weekend.
Just made it under Aylesford bridge before tide got too high as left sheerness a bit late.Actually did not quite make it as forgot to take down Lokata aerial.Grind crunch Snap.All watched with glee by people in pub opposite.
Spent first night in Maidstone town center decent mooring (£ 1.00) if a bit noisy in the roads nearby)
Feed wife with expensive chinese takeaway.
Next to go was a stantion which lost in an argument with East Farliegh lock gate.
Next night at Yalding after getting under bridge with 3/4 inches to spare.Free mooring.
Feed wife at Pub in village called Walnut Tree which is around 30 mins away.
Return journey to Sheerness via Malta inn for more grub and also gouged chunk out of nav light at same lock which did for my stantion
So all I need is one new aerial ahem two new stainless thingys and a bit of paint on the mooring light.

Also know how auto steering wotsits works.
Now I was always under the illusion that you lot stood manfully at the steering wheel for hours and hours on end during your epic journys to jersey or wherewhatever.........

And the weather for the weekend is...............

Chris_d

Visit site
Re: Autopilot ?

Clearly autopilot not so good for lock work then? perhaps the link to the throttles isn't working correctly!

Greg2

Visit site
Know the feeling...few weeks ago negotiating Reedham Bridge with a strong tide I had a similar problem. Feeling sure that I had impressed the family with my boat handling skills (keeping us stationary/in position despite the current/wind to allow a boat coming upstream to pass under the bridge) I confidently forged ahead to have my eldest little person point out that the aerial was still up...precisely at the time that it hit the bridge. Needless to say my panicked but feeble attempts to bend it back were futile and...snaaap! Wife not happy - 'more bl***y money' etc etc. Youngest little person has a sketch re-enacting the saga off to a tee - takes great delight in performing for all and sundry.

KevL

Visit site
No more Manfully standing at the helm for you. The minuite that SWMBO notices any of that she will take great pleasure reminding/telling you and anyone else present about your first little trip and it won't be the food that gets remembered.

It can be even worse, like when you are comming onto your mooring and the wind catches it. I've ended up at 90 deg to the mooring wedged between the pontoons. Oh how SHMBO laughs when she tells that one.

I know, been there, done that, got the SWMBO to remind me.

--
Tides - Never there when you need one.
Wind - Always there when you don't.

KevL

Medskipper

Visit site
Sounds like you should take more water with it!!!

I have a horrible feeling that you are in Chatham Marina? If you are can you pleeeze stay away from B pontoon !!

Barry

I just want to retire with my boat to the Med!

Canboria

Visit site
Barry, he was in Gillingham Marina, now that is a challenge berthing between piles, I believe from previous post Oldgit is now on the river somewhere, must find out so that I can steer clear.

Oldgit, whats the boat called now ?

Derek

oldgit

Visit site
Boat is now called Sarah T,and either lives at Kingsferry Bridge or at mooring in Chatham Reach near Ship pier.

And the weather for the weekend is...............