Boat to motorhome

lionelz

Visit site
Hey guys and girls,

I am after some some advice, I am currently considering selling my boat and buying a motor home. Has anyone done it before and what are thier views (or even the other way round)

I have had my boat now for 6 years and as much as I love it which I do it is becoming harder to justify the expense of running my boat, the biggest expense being like most the mooring fees, so I am thinking of selling it but replacing with a motor home, what are the pros and cons, my biggest issue is the emotional attachment I have to the boat, I love the freedoms it gives me when out at sea, but of course being UK based time is limited by good weather. The question I am asking is if anyone has done it or has both and what are their thoughts on it.

Thanks in advance

Lionel

IDAMAY

Winter: Algarve Summer: Wherever the boat is.
Visit site
A good friend of mine, Nigel Pickin formerly of this parish, has done just that and for some of the same reasons. I think he does miss the boats in some ways but has really adapted to the motorhome way of life. At the moment he is somewhere near Banff and on Friday will be heading west towards Vancouver. There isn`t a boat in which he could do that. He may still look at this forum from time to time in which case he may well comment personally.

Greg2

Visit site
I don’t have personal experience but it doesn’t seem to be unusual for boaters to also have a motor home or to move between the two if FB groups I am in are any indication. People we know got a motor home and liked it so much that they sold the boat and bought a new and bigger motor home. I guess some elements are similar i.e. the ability to travel and stay.

We did look at motor homes during the last winter - can’t see us not having a boat because that is what we love but were thinking perhaps one day for a motor home.

Last edited:

Steruth1

Visit site
I have done it both ways several times. After selling my boat in the med I don’t think I will boat again in the uk so am in the process of buying my 3rd motor home. That being said I hope to tow a rib or jet ski . They both have perks but they also both have draw backs but either one gets you away from the house and DIY. Hope you enjoy whatever you decide it’s all fun after all

stelican

Visit site
I don’t have personal experience but it doesn’t seem to be unusual for boaters to also have a motor home or to move between the two if FB groups I am in are any indication. People we know got a motor home and liked it so much that they sold the boat and bought a new and bigger motor home. I guess some elements are similar i.e. the ability to travel and stay.

We did look at motor homes during the last winter - can’t see us not having a boat because that is what we love but were thinking perhaps one day for a motor home.
Have done both for 30yrs but a day boat.
We can be inS France in 2 days another day to Spain.
Have been to Cornwall this year and currently in Scotland for 2 weeks and also been various places South Coast.
Never storm bound,still look around marinas and harbours.
Take commercial boat trips for the fix.
Campsites budget £25 per night
Fuel 25miles per gallon
Currently pitched up watching the sunset over Eigg; Rhum and Skye 100ft from waters edge and white sand beach crystal clear water.

lionelz

Visit site
Have done both for 30yrs but a day boat.
We can be inS France in 2 days another day to Spain.
Have been to Cornwall this year and currently in Scotland for 2 weeks and also been various places South Coast.
Never storm bound,still look around marinas and harbours.
Take commercial boat trips for the fix.
Campsites budget £25 per night
Fuel 25miles per gallon
Currently pitched up watching the sunset over Eigg; Rhum and Skye 100ft from waters edge and white sand beach crystal clear water.
Thanks that's basically what I am thinking, I took very early retirement (54) so whilst I have some money coming in I am not wealthy, and you have just described what I am looking to do, I presume it's much cheaper which if so will free up at least 6k a year.

mcanderson

Visit site
My wife’s uncle and aunt have a large motor home and keep asking us when we are changing over! My reply is as soon as I can park a 40ft motor home near any port on the Côte d’Azur (where we boat), take it to the Lerins and get sim to small spots where you can be relatively alone. So far all the above is impossible in a motor home so we won’t be changing.
Their motor home is very impressive and very comfortable, but we love boating too much to change.

Momac

Visit site
We have occasionally looked at motorhomes/caravans as there are some large retailers not far from home.

Caravans have the advantage to leaving the tow vehicle free for day trips while a motorhome, if not too large, is presumably the easier drive. Nothing tempts us away from the boat.
It's good that we don't all wish for the same thing.

nicho

Visit site
When we sold our mobo last year, we bought a caravan, a real beauty, twin axle, air on, central heating etc. Loved it, still do. However we took it to the Isle of Wight, and of course spent much of our time in Cowes and Yarmouth, staring jealously at the various boats. So, we bought another boat, relatively inexpensive (Bav34), and now have both, and the only problem is deciding which to use when the weather is lovely. We have never been tempted by a motorhome, but can understand the lifestyle, being the same as caravanning. However, if you go down that route, make sure you buy a reasonably sized one, and tow a small car behind (Smart or Fiat 500?), so you can leave the Motorhome on site. Parking is often a nightmare for motor homes, especially in the Southwest, and having to pack everything back in cupboards every time you go out is a pain. Following COVID-19, caravans and Motorhome have virtually sold out, and sites are very busy, with some complaining they cannot book where they want to go, but that will no doubt settle down. We love touring the country, seeing different places - off to North Yorkshire in a couple of weeks, afternoon tea in Betty’s at Harrogate, fish and chips in Whitby, and a trip through the Yorkshire Forests to remind me of old times (and accidents!). Mind, we also love pottering around the Solent. Motorhomes and caravans come in for a lot of stick, but ignore the complaints and enjoy the new adventures. We have done France, Switzerland, Austria amongst others - foreign touring is great when possible.

thejonesey

Visit site
We bought a motorhome and sold it again after six months to move back into boating. I thought that it would be more flexible but came up against the following:
1. Motorhomes are big and you need to plan the journey to ensure no bridges etc
2. Motorhomes are big so you have to drive them to a caravan park which feels very different to a marina and then you are stuck there.
3. You cannot explore in a big motorhome as parking is a nightmare.
4. I missed the boat and the emotional connection you mentioned.

If we were to do it again I would buy a caravan as you can dump it at a site and then explore, however I think we are more likely to Air BnB if we ever get to that stage and tow a Rib instead.

My situation is different to you though as our motorhome had to be big enough for four plus a dog....

PS We should have rented first!!! If you are serious give that a try and then you wont make an expensive mistake! Good luck with your decision.

Baggywrinkle

Ammersee, Bavaria / Adriatic & Free to roam Europe
Visit site
I used my mums motor home for a few European road trip style holidays and hired one a 2 years ago for a road trip from Cairns to Sydney.

Things to be aware off compared to boating ....

1. You have to drive the thing ... that means everyone sitting in one place, wearing seat belts, and the driver concentrating on the road for the duration of the trip. No putting the thing on autopilot and fetching a cold beer from the fridge.
2. You are limited as to where you can stop ... not all overnight stops outside camp sites are safe - on land anyone can get to you.
3. The best camp sites are expensive and crowded ... you can't really choose your neighbours and they are close.
4. You can pack up and move pretty quickly - loads better than caravans or tents - but nowhere near as easy as a few minutes on the anchor windlass.
5. You can't always get into the parts of towns you want to visit 'cos the van might be too big.
6. Everything in the van was flimsy and bendy by boat standards.
7. Emptying toilets and grey water is disgusting and must be done at specific collection points - not always easy to find.

Central and Southern Europe was very crowded, both campsites and roads - especially in summer. Australia was a fantastic holiday - mainly due to it being so big and empty by European standards.

I prefer boats . ?

Reactions: RAI

SimonD

Visit site
We've also got the T shirt. Bought a motorhome as we were boatless at the time. Our first big trip was a tour of Brittany and we thought that driving round the coast would be like cruising but from the other side (so to speak). It wasn't. Motorhoming has very little in common with boating and we spent a lot of time gazing at the sea wishing we were out there. Campsites are just somewhere to park the motorhome. Very few have a view worth looking at.

That said, when we're too decrepit to handle a boat, we plan to get another motorhome to see visit places you can't get to by boat. I think the key is to accept boats and motorhomes have more differences than similarities. If you're prepared, or forced, to give up the former, a motorhome is fine and lets you continue to explore. Maybe for the first year or two, avoid the coast so you're not tempted.

The caravan v. motorhome debate is endless. You might want to sign up to one of the many forums to get views. In my view, if you're not planning to go abroad, a motorhome has few advantages over a caravan (and several disadvantages as some have pointed out). However, if you're going abroad, the motorhome is a winner for one reason: aires. All over Europe there are thousands of overnight stops exclusively for motorhomes called aires. They're largely free and near town and village centres. Some even have great views, there's one in Treguier looking out over the river for example. If you're touring abroad long term, they will save a small fortune on camping fees. If you want a motorhome, but worried about size, have a look at panel van conversions (not campers; too basic for my taste). Panel van conversions are handy enough to use as an everyday vehicle in the UK and have all the facilities of a full size motorhome.

nicho

Visit site
We've also got the T shirt. Bought a motorhome as we were boatless at the time. Our first big trip was a tour of Brittany and we thought that driving round the coast would be like cruising but from the other side (so to speak). It wasn't. Motorhoming has very little in common with boating and we spent a lot of time gazing at the sea wishing we were out there. Campsites are just somewhere to park the motorhome. Very few have a view worth looking at.

That said, when we're too decrepit to handle a boat, we plan to get another motorhome to see visit places you can't get to by boat. I think the key is to accept boats and motorhomes have more differences than similarities. If you're prepared, or forced, to give up the former, a motorhome is fine and lets you continue to explore. Maybe for the first year or two, avoid the coast so you're not tempted.

The caravan v. motorhome debate is endless. You might want to sign up to one of the many forums to get views. In my view, if you're not planning to go abroad, a motorhome has few advantages over a caravan (and several disadvantages as some have pointed out). However, if you're going abroad, the motorhome is a winner for one reason: aires. All over Europe there are thousands of overnight stops exclusively for motorhomes called aires. They're largely free and near town and village centres. Some even have great views, there's one in Treguier looking out over the river for example. If you're touring abroad long term, they will save a small fortune on camping fees. If you want a motorhome, but worried about size, have a look at panel van conversions (not campers; too basic for my taste). Panel van conversions are handy enough to use as an everyday vehicle in the UK and have all the facilities of a full size motorhome.
You’re making me want to go back to Brittany. Love the area, and with a caravan/Motorhome you can travel far and wide to see local attractions which would be more difficult with a boat. If you do switch from boat to either mobile versions, do not go to coastal areas for some time, we made that mistake. Also beware, SWMBO much prefers the caravan to the boat!! Cost wise, a good Motorhome will cost as much as a good sailing boat, but is much cheaper to operate. Ours is in a “secure“ storage site, £500 a year, and decent caravan sites average around £30 a night. One downside, a nice twin axle, newish caravan is also coveted by travellers, who have no wish to pay for it. I put secure storage in “” because our 4 month old twin was stolen from the compound last November. Balaclava’d thugs, tore down electric gates, ripped out alarms, jemmied off wheel lockS and disappeared into the night, with another similar example as well, ignoring 8 cctv cameras. Police did nothing, but insurance paid out £34k in four weeks.

DougOut

Visit site
We went from a Princess 412+2 to an American motorhome, a Georgie Boy Swinger. You wouldn't believe how many jokes we had about that! We did look at European motorhome but found them far too cramped. Silly things like the size of sinks, seats were uncomfortable for lounging. The american RV was so much better in every respect and we soon replaced it with a better model, 32' Monaco Knight with twin slide outs, air con, central heating, washer/dryer, king size island bed, separate shower room and toilet, full size 4 door fridge, microwave, oven, hob. dining table with electric lift tv. rock and roll settee, armchair and two rotating captains chairs. We towed a little fiat behind it so we had transport wherever we ended up. Whatever you decide I'd recommend joining a club, they organise rallies and help out in many other ways.

nicho

Visit site
We went from a Princess 412+2 to an American motorhome, a Georgie Boy Swinger. You wouldn't believe how many jokes we had about that! We did look at European motorhome but found them far too cramped. Silly things like the size of sinks, seats were uncomfortable for lounging. The american RV was so much better in every respect and we soon replaced it with a better model, 32' Monaco Knight with twin slide outs, air con, central heating, washer/dryer, king size island bed, separate shower room and toilet, full size 4 door fridge, microwave, oven, hob. dining table with electric lift tv. rock and roll settee, armchair and two rotating captains chairs. We towed a little fiat behind it so we had transport wherever we ended up. Whatever you decide I'd recommend joining a club, they organise rallies and help out in many other ways.
I saw one Motorhome at the NEC Show, where a button was pressed and the side moved out. Nothing strange in that, but this exposed a garage housing a Mercedes SLK. Cost around £1/2 million iirc.

Eyore

Visit site

Agree 100%, forget any similarity. Motorhomes are fine when you are too decrepid to go boating, sitting in a campsite with screaming kids and hundreds of others "living the life" is not much like a quiet anchorage. We just drove around the coast looking at boats and feeling disillusioned,

Bouba

Visit site
I’ve had both, and I like both. They are different yet the same. They both occupy your time and make you think about horizons.
Boats are more stressful to park but motor homes more stressful to drive (because of motorway traffic etc).
Think of a motor home as a land yacht.