Boat terms translated.

KINGFISHER 8

Visit site
I saw an ad some time ago for a book of nautical terms and boaty bits all translated into different languages ..... anybody got one? Publisher or any other details please? As usual I jotted down the details on a piece of paper then lost it ... sad when you get old!

laika

Visit site
There's also this one which I have, published by the Cruising Association:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Yachtsmans-Ten-Language-Dictionary-Portuguese
One more language! Unfortunately not Russian. If I were the type to mention national stereotypes (which generally I'm not) I'd question whether you need Russian yachting terms: don't they leave that stuff to the crew?

The problem with the CA book is that because of the format (which doesn't assume a "base" language) there's no alphabetical index, so you have to remember what all the sections are and correctly guess which section the word you're looking for will be in.

homer

Visit site
Try Sail.ing by Beard and McKie. Examples:- Current; Tidal flow that carries a boat away from its destination or towards a hazard. Moon; Earth's natural satellite. During periods when it displays a vivid blue colour, sailng conditions are generally favourable. Etc, etc.