Boat Speed

Andrew_Fanner

Visit site
My better half and I bought a Fjord 27 earlier this year. New baby has meant extremely little use so far and she is now out of the water having a diesel engine fitted (200HP AD41).

It occurred to us that we have no idea at what speed the boat should plane, if at all, and whether or not we ought to get some trim tabs fitted. The boat's earlier life seems to have been spent on the Thames where such issues don't arise.

If relevant we have an Avon 280 rib with a Mariner 10 dangling off the davits.

Thanks for any help.

Visit site
Andrew, as you know I had one of these with twin 130 petrols, it did about 17Knots and was very bow up so I would definitely recommend some Tabs.
I would expect you to get the same kind of speed ie circa 18knots or as its new maybe even up to 20 knots.
These boats are quite heavy and even though only 27feet, weigh more than a Fairline Mirage at 29feet.
Let us know how you get on when you have it running!

Andrew_Fanner

Visit site
Diesel powered baby? There'a a thing now. I'll warn Heather that erudite boaters have resolved the problem of baby vomiting on Dad at every opportunity!

As for the sensible bits about stern heavy (esp with tender behind) that sounds like I'll need some tabs:-( My wallet is already cowering in the corner and pleading mercy. Anywhere a better option than Lancing?

pistonbroke

Visit site
Ref: Tabs

A company has been doing the last few boat jumbles selling Bennets for a few hunderd pounds, I think they bought all the stock from Sowester prior to them going t*ts up.

I don't know the name of the company but they are based at Sparkes Marina.