Boat sold and looking for next boat

piratos

Visit site
Sold and delivered my boat from last 15 years, and now closing in on next one.
1) what are opinions on the MAN V10 with 820 hp : run away / Maybe / Brilliant ??
know the service cost are expensive. How much ?
2) Might need to keep boat for a while in Croatia - any good advice ?

Portofino

Visit site
Depends on the history , the service history.At that age pretty much the same for any manufacturer .
They are well engineered , don’t corrode and the metals last .Unitary construction from modules .They share a lot of components.Mines the in line 6 2876 version .Uber reliable and parts availability is great .Base blocks + oily bits used in land based trucks , buses , trains etc .

V10 are fine .Nothing much to say really .Internet is very quiet on MAN marine diesel problems ….unlike another well known marque 😀 , which is the subject of ever constant threads on here !

The cooling side is robust etc .No pencil anodes they use the boats transom anodes .
Filters are similar priced as others , oil std 15/40 W , MAN give a wide choice .

I service mine myself filters £100 for 2xoil , 4 fuel + 70;L of juice about £400 .Pa .
Every 3 years air filters £120 each , you will need 4 being a V and 2x the filter bill as well .
Drive ploy belt another £100 - about every 10 yrs .
Header tank caps £50-80 each there are 2 on each motor , every few yrs or when they start to loose pressure .

Not a lot really if do your own “wrenching “

We have the MMDS ( MAN Management Diagnostic System ) screens , which show 16 deltas , not just rpm + temp , but a shed load of others inc EGT s and load .
Even seawater inlet pump pressure …..so you can visibly see the state of the impeller, it’s function etc .

All this is handy in accessing ( by comparison of stb and port ) the gen health of the things and in a way heading off big problems at the pass . Eg “ Air suction pressure “ tells you the state of the air filters , how they are breathing , if they have obstructions = dirty etc .” Charge air temp “ tells you the health of the air charge coolers etc etc all useful stuff to peruse when cruising imho .

To see all this they have multiple sensors .If I had to call out an Achilles heal its these .
I have one go in 8 seasons .A fuel flow sensor on cylinder 1 on one motor .No show stopper .It drops to a set algorithm , gives a average squirt after alarming off .The MMDS even reports it tell you .

From memory it was a sealed unit part of the injector you buy the whole thing avec sensor some £€800 then a MAN guy to fit , with call outs , parts , Labour tax etc around €2 K .

Plenty of FB forums of hacks for sensors they are off the shelf things denso I understand you know central heating water temp and pressure sensors .

I would recommend them again if boat hunting but as I said it’s all the the past history and partly somewhat the application.Eg I get 30 knots with 1900 rpm , normally run a wallet friendly + motor sympathetic 1760 rpm = 28 knots or 100 miles in about 3 hrs for easy passage planning .

I wouldn’t want to have to scream away at 2100 rpm hr after hr or N of 2K rpm with 20 yr old unopened motors .I am not that brave and don‘t need to .

Various forums report good for 15000 hrs before opening them up for rebuilds , there are commercial guys north of 25000 hrs too . So the base units are good in practice .

Chris H

Visit site
I’m guessing these engines are pre 2000, check the history to see if the oil filter housing gaskets have been changed, fairly common problem, about £2k per engine to fix and there is a gasket between the engine & gearbox that can let go and it could be an engine out job.